BCD325P2 always on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coynerl

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to power the unit on when it sees it its required in coming voltage?
So when i start my car the unit will turn on.

Without having to push the on "power" button?

Thank you

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
There is a workaround... it works, but it’s not the most popular. Leave the scanner on, turn down the volume and turn off the display. It’s doubtful you will run the auto battery down but they make auto shut offs for automotive batteries that disconnect before you loose the ability to start the vehicle if you don’t use your vehicle on a daily basis. (It’s recommended you put a trickle charger/battery conditioner on the vehicle if it sits unused for multiple days... such as when you hop on a plane, train or boat while on vacation or business trips.)

coynerl

Premium Subscriber
There is a workaround... it works, but it’s not the most popular. Leave the scanner on, turn down the volume and turn off the display. It’s doubtful you will run the auto battery down but they make auto shut offs for automotive batteries that disconnect before you loose the ability to start the vehicle if you don’t use your vehicle on a daily basis. (It’s recommended you put a trickle charger/battery conditioner on the vehicle if it sits unused for multiple days... such as when you hop on a plane, train or boat while on vacation or business trips.)
My issue is when i shutoff my newcar. The 12v outlets and usbs turn off. My old chevy would be on all the time.
I have taken the batteries out of the scanner and it will shutoff when i turn the car off. But when i start the car i must start the scanner again. Its not a big deal. But it would be nice if the scanner just started up when i start the car.

coynerl

Premium Subscriber
yah my wife isnt crazy about real time news and action either.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Is a mobile scanner purchase out of the question?

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
if you want a scanner that will come on when you start up the can then you will need a scanner like the 996p2 that has a hardware switch rather than a software switch.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
How about you buy another cable or cut off the cigar lighter plug and hardwire it to a constant 12v source.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
How about you buy another cable or cut off the cigar lighter plug and hardwire it to a constant 12v source.

Be careful doing this. Sometimes the plug has a voltage converter in it.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I have the same frustration with my 325P2 when I use it mobile. I really wish it had a "click" off/on/volume control.

@JoeBearcat --" Is a mobile scanner purchase out of the question? " It is a definite OUT in my case since there's simply no room available in my 4Runner for a full size radio install. I'll gladly revisit my answer when Uniden comes out with a split mount style scanner with a removable front panel and a radio box that can go under a seat. Not holding breath though.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It appears the installation or use of a full-active cigar lighter might be the best temporary solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.