BCD325P2 Analog cancels out Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought and had delivered a new BCD325P2 running the latest firmware. I set up my system using the RR database along with FREESCAN. On the radio groups 1/2 are my local PD and Sheriff who are both digital. Group 6 is all medical and is a mix of Digital and Analog. If I have only groups 1/2 going, Sheriff is picked up fine. If I activate group 6 then Sheriff doesn't seem to be picked up anymore unless I either de select group 6 or lock directly onto the channel. Here's my County page for reference is this may help: San Joaquin County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Out of all the digital frequencies in my County, the Sheriff has been most difficult to find the sweet spot and have had to make little performance changes to try and get the best result (identifying the best P25 thresh hold, etc.) Everything else digital within range comes in just fine. Seeing as how I have set everything accordingly, I can't think of why a mixed digital/analog group would cancel out a digital only group.

Thank you in advanced.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Couple thoughts

When programming each channel, are you specifying the audio type and using Pl, DPL, or NAC codes? Try not to use the Audio Type 'ALL'.
Also, it appears your problem may be reception related. You will need to use a dual band VHF/UHF antenna. Outside antenna will help a lot. If you are limited to an indoor antenna, move it near a window. Also, keep you coax length as short as possible. Signal is lost over a long piece of coax. Also, keep in mind the distance from your position to the sheriff's transmitter. Uhf will have a limited range compared to vhf.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Yeah all of the audio types are specified for both Analog and Digital. I'm currently using an 800Mhz band antenna from Radio Shack before they went under. I'm using the radio independently and only have it connected thru the USB power cable. Even the Sheriff themselves occasionally have issues with "going digital" during their own transmissions and this was also a big issue when the system was initially being put together. I've been running the RR feed for the Sheriff while troubleshooting and know traffic is going on. But while the other group is active it virtually drops to zero. Only the SO and PD which are both digital it seems to be more consistent.
02000283_00.jpg

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
That antenna is probably killing your signal. You will need to find one for VHF. Have heard good things about Diamond RH77CA. But similar will work also.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Look through what you have programmed into bank 6 for a duplicate or adjacent frequency with a different mode or tone. If you find one, try locking it out.
There is a PD that is local to me that uses digital/analog mixed mode and sometimes the scanner sits on the wrong mode. There is another user more distant that breaks squelch so I need the NAC/PL

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
That antenna is probably killing your signal. You will need to find one for VHF. Have heard good things about Diamond RH77CA. But similar will work also.
You'll have to forgive me. I'm not big on knowing the difference between VHF/UHF. What about the antenna is killing the signal? I thought 800Mhz was within the band frame for Public Safety? Per the antenna description: Designed specifically for 800MHz reception, this Scanner Antenna is ideal for use with scanners monitoring 800MHz trunked radio systems used by police, fire and emergency services.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Look through what you have programmed into bank 6 for a duplicate or adjacent frequency with a different mode or tone. If you find one, try locking it out.
There is a PD that is local to me that uses digital/analog mixed mode and sometimes the scanner sits on the wrong mode. There is another user more distant that breaks squelch so I need the NAC/PL
I'll go back and take a look. I suppose it would of been beneficial to have uploaded my FREESCAN file.

Attachments

• SJ.zip
    2 KB · Views: 8

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
You'll have to forgive me. I'm not big on knowing the difference between VHF/UHF. What about the antenna is killing the signal? I thought 800Mhz was within the band frame for Public Safety? Per the antenna description: Designed specifically for 800MHz reception, this Scanner Antenna is ideal for use with scanners monitoring 800MHz trunked radio systems used by police, fire and emergency services.

Police and EMS are 450-460 (UHF), Fire is 150-160 (VHF). Your antenna is way too short to be receiving what you're trying to hear.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Alright, so I can now confirm with certainty. I had the radio on the Sheriff in a position where the signal was perfect and audio was coming through. I waited until there was going to be a long transmission or one that would have a readback. I turned on Group 6 and now it's gone dead. As soon as I disable group 6, Sheriff comes back.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Since I don't use FreeScan, I can't read what you have in group 6. Did you confirm there are no duplicate frequencies in that bank with a different tone?
Another thought is that you might have something that is locking the scanner up such as a control channel programmed as a conventional channel.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Since I don't use FreeScan, I can't read what you have in group 6. Did you confirm there are no duplicate frequencies in that bank with a different tone?
Another thought is that you might have something that is locking the scanner up such as a control channel programmed as a conventional channel.
I don't have any control channels. My county is all individual frequencies. Looking back through group 6, I don't see any duplicated channels. These were all copied from the County database on RR and imported through the EZ grab feature in FREESCAN. The channel that SO uses is also not duplicated in group 6.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't have any control channels. My county is all individual frequencies. Looking back through group 6, I don't see any duplicated channels. These were all copied from the County database on RR and imported through the EZ grab feature in FREESCAN. The channel that SO uses is also not duplicated in group 6.
I, of course, am not in your area. But I did take a look at your file.

In FreeSCAN, when you click on the system line (the top line for a given system,; it's above the groups), you have the option of enabling selected Group quick keys. The only Group key that you had enabled was GQK (Group Quick Key) 1.

Attached is your same file, with the exception that I enabled GQK's 1 thru 6. I did not change anything else. I did skim your Group 1, & verified that you had the frequencies & NACs matched correctly.
1654920472461.png

Try the attached file & see if that makes any difference. Unless, somehow, getting the scanner into Hold on just Group 6, I don't see anything else that catches my attention.

Attachments

• SJ-a.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 1

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve. Actually it's group 2 that is the one I am having trouble with. Before when I first was using FREESCAN I had all the Quick Keys unchecked and when I uploaded the system it said nothing was scannable. Enabling just the first group allowed the system to be active with group 1 enabled and the other groups 2,4,5,6 having the asterisk which I could enable independently through the function and number process. I just updated my 996XT in the car with the latest firmware using the exact same 996XT file I had before and both group 6 and 2 play along. There's something going on with my 325P2 that for whatever reason group 6 cancels out group 2. I'm guessing that it being a mix of A and D doesn't play nice for some reason.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
So the only way I have figured out is to throw all of SO into the bottom of group 1 which is PD. Seems to work.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
What is the HOLD TIME set to for group 6? (it should be set to 0 for minimal time scanning group 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.