BCD325P2 / BCD996P2 Update 1.07.09

Status
Not open for further replies.

roccus

Who is your internet provider?

I have a dish... Dishnet, was told hughs just took that over...

I spent quite a bit of time tying to get it to run through properties of the app I ran trouble shooting and it is telling me the app is incompatible so I clicked on try to find solution to problem but that gives back 0 results, there are not internet setting in Priorities for the app so I only ran into a dead end.

So I was going to try to load the software onto my old XP laptop to see if it would run but I can't get it to boot up keep getting fan error and it just shuts down... so another dead end

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Hughesnet is not compatible with Sentinel. You'll need to go to someplace with WiFi to update the database and firmware. Changing windows version will not help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is a Hughesnet issue with ftp, not a Sentinel issue. Google Hughesnet ftp and you'll find quite a few complaints and ways people have tried to overcome their limitations.

roccus

Hughesnet is not compatible with Sentinel. You'll need to go to someplace with WiFi to update the database and firmware. Changing windows version will not help.

Well that sucks.... I live on a major state road, cable is on the polls that run right past my house but they will not run it into our houses on this little 4 mile stretch of road. Cable is run into houses 2 miles down the road south of my house and it is also ran into houses 2 miles north of my house all on the same road. I took it up with the town and they inquired as to why, they were told by the cable company that they will only run cable into homes that have 12 houses per mile and the area of road my house is has only 10 houses per mile so our house does not qualify for connection to the pole. So the only choice I have for high speed internet and TV is dish....

I took a look as suggest to google the problem but can't find any remedies... but thanks to everyone who took the time for input on this guess I will have to settle for the older firmware and not consider any of the upgrades

mkessler1962

U[pdate for BCD996p2

How do I get the update? And my scanner quits receiving the radio traffic after a few days, will this update solve the issue?

Voyager

Well that sucks.... I live on a major state road, cable is on the polls that run right past my house but they will not run it into our houses on this little 4 mile stretch of road.

Have the municipality pass an ordinance that if the cable runs within 500 feet of a building, it must be eligible for service. The municipality licenses cable for service so they can add that to the contract.

You can also dispute HOW they determine houses per mile. If you look at a three mile stretch that includes the areas they serve, does that meet the 20 houses per mile rule? If not, those houses 2 miles away don't meet it either. "X number per mile" is still subjective. The above rule is more fair. They are taunting you by having the cable outside your house, but not offering service. If your area is too sparse for service, it's too sparse for them to run through.

They can't serve you due to sparsity, but they can use your poles for cable. Either your area has cable or it doesn't. If it runs outside your house, it has cable.

roccus

Have the municipality pass an ordinance that if the cable runs within 500 feet of a building, it must be eligible for service. The municipality licenses cable for service so they can add that to the contract.

You can also dispute HOW they determine houses per mile. If you look at a three mile stretch that includes the areas they serve, does that meet the 20 houses per mile rule? If not, those houses 2 miles away don't meet it either. "X number per mile" is still subjective. The above rule is more fair. They are taunting you by having the cable outside your house, but not offering service. If your area is too sparse for service, it's too sparse for them to run through.

They can't serve you due to sparsity, but they can use your poles for cable. Either your area has cable or it doesn't. If it runs outside your house, it has cable.

2 miles south of my house is a small lake so many houses packed in around lake then 2 miles north of me is the center of the next town over so again many buildings packed in together so these locations meet the cable company quota for numbers needed to run cable to the buildings

The town hall is who I went to to find why no cable to my house so the cable company came out and did this survey and determined not enough houses per mile,,, the town said they could not help me... the poles run right across the street from me about 60 feet away... fiber optics are even on the poles that run past me... the only thing the town seems happy to do is raise my property taxes then collect them...

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Roccus,
Do you have a Starbucks or Library that has wifi? If you have a laptop, you could download the program from one of those open wifi places and then take it home to run on the scanner.

Mike

JamesO

If you have a smart phone and good 3/4G service at your house, enable the Wifi Hotspot feature unless you have a cell phone provider that will not allow you to enable the Wifi Hotspot feature on the phone on an as needed basis.

Or as mentioned, find a restrurant, hotel, library, coffee shop that has Wifi and just download what you need. You can even bring the scanner and update it if you are dealing with a 325P2. If you have a 996P2, you can take a small battery pack and it will run the scanner or find a place you can run everything in the car and get Wifi.

Satellite based Internet SUX. The providers do not know how to manage the service, they severely over subscribe the channels and the latency causes headaches for downloads if they do not block them entirely.

You need to get the cable company to make a cable drop to your house. How far is your house from the cable line on the main road?

Unforgiven_AF

Well that sucks.... I live on a major state road, cable is on the polls that run right past my house but they will not run it into our houses on this little 4 mile stretch of road. Cable is run into houses 2 miles down the road south of my house and it is also ran into houses 2 miles north of my house all on the same road. I took it up with the town and they inquired as to why, they were told by the cable company that they will only run cable into homes that have 12 houses per mile and the area of road my house is has only 10 houses per mile so our house does not qualify for connection to the pole. So the only choice I have for high speed internet and TV is dish....

I took a look as suggest to google the problem but can't find any remedies... but thanks to everyone who took the time for input on this guess I will have to settle for the older firmware and not consider any of the upgrades

Try using an FTP client to download it directly to the SD card. Many of those compensate for dropped connections and will resume a partial download. It may still take a bit, but at least when it times out you aren't starting out at zero.

Maybe UPMan or someone here can generate an MD5 checksum so you can verify a good download before you apply it. I would hope that sentinal verifies the download of firmware before flashing it, and MD5 is the best I know of, so having the checksum around is simple.

roccus

n3ouc
I live in a rural out of the way area, no star bucks have a library used to do wifi but it caused parking problems so the discontinued it to public

roccus

If you have a smart phone and good 3/4G service at your house, enable the Wifi Hotspot feature unless you have a cell phone provider that will not allow you to enable the Wifi Hotspot feature on the phone on an as needed basis.

Or as mentioned, find a restrurant, hotel, library, coffee shop that has Wifi and just download what you need. You can even bring the scanner and update it if you are dealing with a 325P2. If you have a 996P2, you can take a small battery pack and it will run the scanner or find a place you can run everything in the car and get Wifi.

Satellite based Internet SUX. The providers do not know how to manage the service, they severely over subscribe the channels and the latency causes headaches for downloads if they do not block them entirely.

You need to get the cable company to make a cable drop to your house. How far is your house from the cable line on the main road?
Thanks James for chiming in... If there were say a coffee shop around here with wifi I can just see me walking in setting a battery, scanner, and pute on the counter and order a coffee!! lol

But just to be clear in case some mix up here I downloaded the software and installed it but it wants to connect to the internet when you run it and that is where the problem is it will not connect with my IP

My house to pole is about 50' to 60' it is just a 2 lane hy way... I have had the dish for 4 years now it was not bad at first but has been getting real slow some times no much faster than dial up. When I lived down in NH I had high speed through Verizon it came through the phone line and was not to bad. Even tha was not available to my house here but it was just put in recently my neighbor has it he said it is not to bad... I might consider ditching the dish for that.. I think they call that broad band?? You have these filters you plug into your phone jacks....

Gaffer22

Right as rain

northzone, Thanks for the tip to run BC-VUP3, I did, it worked:) Sure made it easy.

Voyager

The town hall is who I went to to find why no cable to my house so the cable company came out and did this survey and determined not enough houses per mile,,, the town said they could not help me...

They could if they want to. They are blowing you off hoping you will shut up. THEY set the terms of the contract with the cable company. If the cable company wants to serve the municipality, they will meet those terms. It may be several years until the contract comes up for renewal, but make sure they change it. After all, is there a density provision below which taxes are not due? (didn't think so) Your taxes are paying for services you are not receiving (from the municipality).

It's simple math. If you have a three mile area where the houses at mile 1 and 3 meet the criteria +50%, then all three miles meet the criteria +0% if you take the average of those 3 miles. (you would need 30 houses in that 3 mile stretch.

Again - dispute their math. Come up with your own study and make it so it proves you meet the criteria - just as they came up with criteria that proves you do not. The above does that, but assumes facts that may or may not be true. Only you know the number of houses per mile on your road.

OR, if you have 5 mouses in a half mile stretch, that also meets the density. Or 3 houses in 1/4 mile, etc.

If they city won't help you, start a PR campaign that complains about the cable company using poles that run past your house, but refuse you cable service based on an arbitrary criteria. And if you can prove it meets density requirements as shown above, use that to your advantage.

roccus

Couldn't this be resolved as easy as Uniden putting a folder on a HTTP site with all the updates and upgrades in it, them maybe letting the user pick which type of server they want to use before the app runs?

It's hard for me to believe I am the only dish user in the US that owns a Uniden, so many others must have run into this as well... I should not have go banging door to door with my laptop and scanner under my arm to beg to use someones internet or have to fight town hall to get cable then switch providers to to what should be a basic function and feater, to be able to update/upgrade this scanner. Just my thoughts.....

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I realize that MAJOR updates are probably at then end of the line for the 996P2 but I figured it's worth it to ask if now that the x36HP line now has proper P25 patch following would there be any chance of at least getting that to the 996P2? Or I'd like to make this post my request for it to the Uniden gurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.