BCD325P2 Choppy audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunrights

It's Not About Guns, It's About Freedom!
I have had my new BCD325P2 for about a week & ½. I've noticed that every time I turn it on the audio is very choppy audio for about 10 minutes to an hour. But once it's been on for a while it clears up. I've tried to read through the manual to see if there was some setting that I am missing but I'm not sure.

Any advice or is there something wrong with the radio?

gunrights

I put a Diamond RH77CA on it.

I'm in the downtown area of the city where all the traffic is that so it is local.

Yes it is a Simulcast network.

As you've probably read, Simulcast can cause issues.

It is totally dependent upon location and the radio signal's behavior.

If the firmware is current, you may need an SDS model scanner.

Try taking the scanner for a long ride and see if it improves.

That will tell you if your location is a problem.

gunrights

Do you have Close Call or priority turned on?

Nope, and remember a gets better after a period of time. It's almost like it's an old-time radio that has to warm-up. If I change the batteries out really fast it doesn't do it. Almost like there's a flaky capacitor or something.

gunrights

As you've probably read, Simulcast can cause issues.

It is totally dependent upon location and the radio signal's behavior.

If the firmware is current, you may need an SDS model scanner.

Updated the Firmware a couple of days ago. I was shocked to see that the 2015 firmware was installed. It is now updated to the 2019 latest version.

What's better about the SDS models when it comes to simulcast?

What's better about the SDS models when it comes to simulcast?
You'll find plenty about that in the forums, but the SDS scanners are the ONLY scanners specifically designed to handle Simulcast Distortion.

The process is patented by Uniden for the SDS scanners.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast systems and their multiple transmitter sites could mean your scanner is hearing several different sets of signals. It is having trouble decoding this.

One theory could be is that it takes your scanner a bit of time and some lengthy transmissions for the internal algorithms to "catch up" with decoding.

The SDS scanners receive and decode simulcast systems a little differently than earlier models. That's why their is less garble or missed audio on simulcast systems.

Having a lousy antenna can sometimes be better on simulcast so you are not pulling in as much signals, as strange as it sounds. You can also try to bring your scanner close to a transmitter site, such as 1/4 mile, and see if the issue improves. That would be a good test on whether it is simulcast problems

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I'm in the downtown area of the city where all the traffic is that so it is local.

While the RH77CA is a great antenna I wouldn't recommend it for the 700/800MHz bands if that's what you're using it for. The RH77CA is a dual band VHF/UHF antenna designed for amateur Ham radio, 144 Mhz/440 MHz. I find that it also works well for civilan and military aircraft bands.
A Remtronix REM-800B would be a good choice for th 700/800MHz bands.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

It is probably simulcast distortion. The 325 is not designed to receive digital signalling in the overlap areas between two (or more) sites, particularly when a system has been built to provide some amount of portable coverage indoors. SDS series scanners or Unication pagers are your best bet since they were designed to reliably decode P25 simulcast technology. I'd return the 325 - sounds like it would still be eligible. I think you will find that the better performance you perceive after 10 or so minutes is coincidental.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
gunrights, how many signal strength bars are you getting when the audio is choppy? Are your batteries charged complete?

I've had a few BCD325P2's over the years in a 12 site problematic simulcast environment but for the most part it worked very well for me unless I was in my truck on the road. So although the newer SDS series cope with simulcast systems better, they are not always necessary. Everyone's circumstances and results differ.

Chris0516

gunrights, how many signal strength bars are you getting when the audio is choppy? Are your batteries charged complete?

I've had a few BCD325P2's over the years in a 12 site problematic simulcast environment but for the most part it worked very well for me unless I was in my truck on the road. So although the newer SDS series cope with simulcast systems better, they are not always necessary. Everyone's circumstances and results differ.
I second that. I have the BCD325p2. I compared it to the SDS100. It was the SDS100. That doesn't meet my needs. Not the BCD325p2.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
We have only simulcast in my region of the Mid Atlantic, which varies from two very large urban areas, the expansive suburban areas that serve them, and rural farmland. The SDS was the only consumer radio that could decode these systems completely and reliably. A few people have success with non-optimized radios like the 325 in limited circumstances, but it is highly dependent on location, even within the same room - and some people don't even realize they are missing transmissions. But it's your location, your budget and your listening experience that matters.

gunrights

Full signal strengths with fresh batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.