BCD325P2: easy way to lockout/unlock channels or talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikVanR

I just got a BCD325P2, and I can say that this is a very 'deep' menu layer device. So, in the past, locking out or unlocking a channel/frequency or trunk system talkgroup (when no one was talking on it) was just a matter of going to that bank and channel (or talkgroup ID subgroup) and pressing the L/O key. With the 325 the only way I can figure to do it is: when in scan, press MENU > Program System > Select System > Edit Group > Select Group > Edit Channel > Select Channel > Set Lockout > then scroll to the desired 1 of the 3 options and press E/Yes.

Is there a faster way to go directly to a channel and lock it out or unlock it?

scosgt

Is there a way to just sit on a system without turning everything else off?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
You can press hold and turn the knob to the talkgroup you want. But for a whole system I suggest quick keys as W8RMH did.

ErikVanR

I think I found one solution to my question.
On page 86 of the manual:

"To Unlock a Single Channel in Scan Mode press Hold to hold on any channel.
Press Func and quickly (within 3 seconds) scroll to the system that has the channel you want to unlock then quickly (within 3 seconds) press E/yes.
Scroll to the channel you want to unlock and press L/O until 'Unlocked' is displayed."

One can then use the Sel knob to scroll through all the channels and lockout/unlock the ones you want to. You can also see the L/O status (top row of display screen) of the channels as you scroll.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think I found one solution to my question.
On page 86 of the manual:

"To Unlock a Single Channel in Scan Mode press Hold to hold on any channel.
Press Func and quickly (within 3 seconds) scroll to the system that has the channel you want to unlock then quickly (within 3 seconds) press E/yes.
Scroll to the channel you want to unlock and press L/O until 'Unlocked' is displayed."

One can then use the Sel knob to scroll through all the channels and lockout/unlock the ones you want to. You can also see the L/O status (top row of display screen) of the channels as you scroll.
To lock out a single channel, press "L/O" (lockout) when the scanner is receiving that frequency. Turning it back 'on' (unlocking) does require more steps as you've already found in the manual.

As W8RMH has noted, if you also use Quick Keys, you can turn an individual system, or trunked system site, on or off as desired.

If you find that there is a specific channel or TGID that you often want to toggle on or off, then you might want to assign it a Number Tag, so that you can jump to it easily. (That number tag page was created before the release of the 325P2, but it does apply to that scanner.)

ErikVanR

To lock out a single channel, press "L/O" (lockout) when the scanner is receiving that frequency. Turning it back 'on' (unlocking) does require more steps as you've already found in the manual.

As W8RMH has noted, if you also use Quick Keys, you can turn an individual system, or trunked system site, on or off as desired.

If you find that there is a specific channel or TGID that you often want to toggle on or off, then you might want to assign it a Number Tag, so that you can jump to it easily. (That number tag page was created before the release of the 325P2, but it does apply to that scanner.)

Yeah... In many cases, I want to enable or disable certain frequencies or talkgroups based on my current or future location. I want to lockout the channel before it receives anything. Currently, I find my PRO-96/PRO-2096 scanners to be much more friendly to operate 'on the go'.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Another way to hold on a particular system without involving quick keys, is to press and hold the HOLD button for a few seconds, while the desired system is active. You'll see 'System Hold On' in the display. While the radio will continue to scan, it will only scan that particular system. To turn system hold off, simply hold the HOLD button down again, for a few seconds.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Hold function key until it locks, about 3 seconds, scroll to system you want, hit scan, it will only scan that system until you hit function again.

nteresting, but that only seems to work if the system isn't somehow disabled. In other words, if a quick key is assigned to that system, it has to be turned on or that method will not work. I presume it would also not work if the system were locked out. Haven't tried that, though. Cool suggestion, in some cases, though.

P.S. I hope this doesn't read at all as a criticism. It's not. I learned something from your post.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is there a faster way to go directly to a channel and lock it out or unlock it?

I must have missed the original post. Use Number Tagging for direct channel access.

The following comes from the 396XT Complete Reference Guide:

Direct Access
Use this feature to quickly access a channel with number tags. System or channel number tags can be set in the menu. However if you set a channel number tag that already exists in the same system, or if you set a system tag that already exists in another system (include scan systems, service search with scan systems, custom search with scan systems, CC Hits with scan systems), a warning message will be displayed “No.Tag Exists Accept? (Y/N)”. Press [E / yes / gps] to set the same number tag, or press [. / no / pri] to input a new number tag.
To jump to a tagged channel from HOLD mode, enter the system number tag followed by a decimal point then the channel’s number tag, then press [MENU]. The scanner goes to Scan Hold Mode at the entered number tag.

When you get to the desired channel, you can change its Lockout status.

Quick Keys will deal only with Systems or Groups of Channels. For a specific individual channel, Number Tagging is the method provided by Uniden.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
That is correct. Number tagging is a great way to get to channels quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtp

another way

for a talkgroup.
when scanning the trunked system.
hit hold,type in the talkgroup number, hit lockout.
you might have to lookup the number in the data base, but once you know it it becomes second nature.
to unlock it do the same thing
i have one system that has no talkgroups locked out in case something weird happens.
sometimes i want to hear just the hospitals, maybe the school buses. or EMS.
so i lock out everyone else that talks.then when i want to undo the lockouts.
i hit hold, type in a talkgroup (like 1616) then hit and hold lockout until they all unlock.
same thing with a conventional system.
lock out the problem frequencies (like a temporary birdie)
then when things get back to normal just hit hold , and then hit and hold lockout.
all unlocked then appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.