BCD325P2 migration to SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
In an attempt to mitigate simulcast issues, I am considering upgrading my main in-car scanner from a 325P2 to an SDS100.

My 325P2 is programmed using ProScan and is set up to my needs, using quick keys to toggle between specific systems, geographic areas and businesses.

I know that with ProScan that I can export my 325P2 programming and import that as a favorites list into a SDS100.

My question is: If I do that, will I end up with a "duplicate" of my 325's programming and functionality in the SDS100? Most importantly, would all of the quick keys function on the SDS100 as they are programmed in the 325?

FWIW: I would most likely not use Sentinel to program the scanner. Although I have great regard for the RR database, using a straight database imports doesn't suit my needs at all. I also (currently) have no interest in GPS-based scanning.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
In an attempt to mitigate simulcast issues, I am considering upgrading my main in-car scanner from a 325P2 to an SDS100.

My 325P2 is programmed using ProScan and is set up to my needs, using quick keys to toggle between specific systems, geographic areas and businesses.

I know that with ProScan that I can export my 325P2 programming and import that as a favorites list into a SDS100.

My question is: If I do that, will I end up with a "duplicate" of my 325's programming and functionality in the SDS100? Most importantly, would all of the quick keys function on the SDS100 as they are programmed in the 325?

FWIW: I would most likely not use Sentinel to program the scanner. Although I have great regard for the RR database, using a straight database imports doesn't suit my needs at all. I also (currently) have no interest in GPS-based scanning.
While the "imported list" in an SDS100 will resemble the programming of your 325P2, there will be a couple of differences.

For Conventional systems, your system quick key would be the same on both the 325P2 file as well as the SDS100 Favorites list.

Site keys for trunked system sites in the 325P2 will be used for the SDS100.

Group Keys from the 325P2 will be treated as Department keys in the SDS100. Also, instead of being limited to only ten group keys (0 to 9), and a max of 20 groups, in the SDS you can assign up to 100 department keys (0-99), without the 20 group max of the 325P2.

In the 325P2, you basically cannot assign a quick key for the system. You assign quick keys for the sites. If you then try to assign a System QK, it will reset all the sites to the same key. If you then try to assign individual QKs to each site, the System QK resets to blank. However, in the SDS and x36HP series scanners, you can assign a system QK. Site keys, imported from your 325P2 file, are treated as Site Keys in the SDS100. with the proviso that Sites and Departments share the same field of 100 keys (0 to 99). I've seen comments from other members, on a large statewide or regional system, they use, for example, keys 0 to 59 for departments, then 60 to 99 for sites. The "100 key limit" (key numbers that you can use, with no prohibition against duplications) is unlikely to be an issue. You have 100 system keys that you can use, then, within each system, another 100 keys that can se allocated between Departments and Sites.

You also have 100 Favorites list keys that can be used across up to a maximum of 254 Favorites lists, though you cannot duplicate Favorites list quick keys.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
Steve, Thank you.

You are correct I meant quick keys for sites, not systems. And good to know about how the group quick keys get remapped.

As an example, I live at the border of Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. Each state has a statewide trunked PS system and Iowa has an additional wide-area public safety system that is co-exists with the "official" statewide system:

QK 1 are all of the local sites for each of the three states' statewide system.
QK 4 is everything else in Iowa that is local to me (14-ish counties) all conventional
QK 5 is everything else in Nebraska that is local to me (7-ish counties) all conventional
QK 6 is everything else in South Dakota that is local to me (6-ish counties) all conventional
QK 7 is everything else in Iowa (all major cities) trucked sites + conventional systems
QK 8 is everything else in Nebraska (all major cities) trucked sites + conventional systems
QK 9 is everything else in South Dakota (all major cities) trucked sites + conventional systems

The other quick keys are random (but at times very important) conventional systems

My eventual plan is to put all of the statewide systems/sites into the SDS100 and transition the 325P2 to strictly conventional systems.

Again, I appreciate your help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve, Thank you.

You are correct I meant quick keys for sites, not systems. And good to know about how the group quick keys get remapped.

As an example, I live at the border of Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. Each state has a statewide trunked PS system and Iowa has an additional wide-area public safety system that is co-exists with the "official" statewide system:

QK 1 are all of the local sites for each of the three states' statewide system.
QK 4 is everything else in Iowa that is local to me (14-ish counties) all conventional
QK 5 is everything else in Nebraska that is local to me (7-ish counties) all conventional
QK 6 is everything else in South Dakota that is local to me (6-ish counties) all conventional
QK 7 is everything else in Iowa (all major cities) trucked sites + conventional systems
QK 8 is everything else in Nebraska (all major cities) trucked sites + conventional systems
QK 9 is everything else in South Dakota (all major cities) trucked sites + conventional systems

The other quick keys are random (but at times very important) conventional systems

My eventual plan is to put all of the statewide systems/sites into the SDS100 and transition the 325P2 to strictly conventional systems.

Again, I appreciate your help.

If you want to "map it out" on paper, before getting into the programming, Mark (from the Marks Scanners 'Easier to Read Manuals' page, has worksheets available so that you can lay out your intentions before actually programming. While his 'manual' for the SDS series scanners mentions the worksheets, the links are not there. However, for programming, the X36HP scanners as well as the SDS series both program basically the same in regards to systems, sites, & channels. The only difference of note is that on the SDS scanners, you can enter the Site NAC, which might help if more than one site in your vicinity is using the same voice channel.

See the worksheets at the bottom of this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.