BCD325P2 programming questions

Aidan603

I do have an SDS100 and DO NOT have a 325p2. However, a few years back I traveled to Portsmouth and Epping. I could pick up New Boston PD clearly on the NAC per db. The NAC may have changed. I would go to the transmitter site itself, and see what happens. Make sure that frequency is in SEARCH mode and not with a NAC programmed.

Could it be that you are slightly out of range of the P25 decode from it? Distant P25 signals on all my radios sound off with static / data sound until I'm in decode range. Since it's just a conventional frequency and not a trunked system, there is not much "programming" that could be wrong. Again not having this particular radio....
I live right in New Boston so I think I’m in pretty good range of it. I also have an extended antenna.

Aidan603

In the conventional system I was able to name each channel in group 1 by going to “edit channel” under “group 1” but I don’t have that option when I go into my P25 systems. There is no group, just sites?

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
In the conventional system I was able to name each channel in group 1 by going to “edit channel” under “group 1” but I don’t have that option when I go into my P25 systems. There is no group, just sites?

This may help:

Sample Programming
1) Conventional system
- 1) Group
---1) Channel (Frequency)
2) P25 Trunking system
- 1) Group
---1) Channel (Talkgroup)

The frequency in question is not part of any P25 "system" and thus needs to be programmed as such. Program it the same way you did the others. As a conventional channel inside a conventional system.

JethrowJohnson

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

Hopefully these will explain how different radio systems work and help you set up your scanner.

Aidan603

Can I only put one P25 conventional channel into each
This may help:

Sample Programming
1) Conventional system
- 1) Group
---1) Channel (Frequency)
2) P25 Trunking system
- 1) Group
---1) Channel (Talkgroup)

The frequency in question is not part of any P25 "system" and thus needs to be programmed as such. Program it the same way you did the others. As a conventional channel inside a conventional system.
but it’s a digital P25 frequency?

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to get you to see that theres multiple ways to program things. You need to program the New Boston PD frequency as a conventional channel inside a conventional system (meaning on your radio, conventional system). P25 would be an audio type. It doesn't matter if the frequency is P25, NXDN, DMR, analog. It DOES matter that it is programmed as conventional and not trunked.

Can you at least take and upload a picture of your programming so I can see for sure that you have it as conventional inside the radio?

Aidan603

I was trying to get you to see that theres multiple ways to program things. You need to program the New Boston PD frequency as a conventional channel inside a conventional system (meaning on your radio, conventional system). P25 would be an audio type. It doesn't matter if the frequency is P25, NXDN, DMR, analog. It DOES matter that it is programmed as conventional and not trunked.

Can you at least take and upload a picture of your programming so I can see for sure that you have it as conventional inside the radio?
I get what you mean now haha. The New Boston PD is put into a “p25” system. The other analog ones like my local fire department I put into a “conventional” system. All of my frequencies are programmed as “one frequency” channels, not standard trunk. If that’s what you’re asking. So I’m assuming I should move the New Boston PD into a “conventional” system, and the “p25” systems are only for the trunked ones?

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
The other analog ones like my local fire department I put into a “conventional” system.

Program New Boston PD just like this.

So I’m assuming I should move the New Boston PD into a “conventional” system

Yes

and the “p25” systems are only for the trunked ones?

Not always. You can program trunked frequencies as conventional to learn more data, follow certain ID's, etc. I didn't wish to confuse you with that part. This frequency is literally all conventional just carrying digital voice. I have a local DMR channel that transmits different UID's on different talkgroups. So I program this frequency as a "DMR One Frequency" system which will spit out talkgroups which I can select on or lock out. Just one example.

Think of it like conventional versus trunked. Analog versus digital. Most people are familiar with analog trunking (slowly disappearing in favor of digital). Local areas such as yours are heavy on conventional digital frequencies (channels, that are not trunked).

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
There is way more to the trunked programming. Different NAC codes, different etc etc etc

I figured I'd simplify this for you and just make sure that you can receive this channel programmed as conventional.

Aidan603

Program New Boston PD just like this.

Yes

Not always. You can program trunked frequencies as conventional to learn more data, follow certain ID's, etc. I didn't wish to confuse you with that part. This frequency is literally all conventional just carrying digital voice. I have a local DMR channel that transmits different UID's on different talkgroups. So I program this frequency as a "DMR One Frequency" system which will spit out talkgroups which I can select on or lock out. Just one example.

Think of it like conventional versus trunked. Analog versus digital. Most people are familiar with analog trunking (slowly disappearing in favor of digital). Local areas such as yours are heavy on conventional digital frequencies (channels, that are not trunked).
I appreciate the help. Still kinda new at this whole hobby.

Would this one also be put into a regular conventional system? It’s in Boston so I have no clue. I noticed it says “conventional” on it although since it’s in a big city I don’t know

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Would this one also be put into a regular conventional system?

Many frequencies on that FCC license are in the RR database. Some analog, some digital, some partially encrypted, some clear.

But yes, all should be in a regular conventional system. Same one? New one? That's up to you and how you wish to program it. But these are conventional frequencies so should be programmed as such.

Aidan603

Many frequencies on that FCC license are in the RR database. Some analog, some digital, some partially encrypted, some clear.

But yes, all should be in a regular conventional system. Same one? New one? That's up to you and how you wish to program it. But these are conventional frequencies so should be programmed as such.
My apologies. The one I copied and pasted didn’t send correctly. It was the S.Boston/Dorchester PD dispatch

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
P25 has a tendency to static, it seems to open the squelch up, even on a trunked system if u stop on a frequency it will static... not sure why..

JethrowJohnson

P25 has a tendency to static, it seems to open the squelch up, even on a trunked system if u stop on a frequency it will static... not sure why..
The only time I've ever heard "static" on a P25 channel is when it's a channel from a county fairly far away and it's so weak that it doesn't decode it. I think it's because I have the audio type set to All since that channel uses analog and P25. I think if it were set for Digital Only it would just cut out completely, because I've never heard digital buzzing on any of the other P25 channels.