BCD325p2 to BCD436HP

Chris0516

As noted in my tag line, I have the-

BCD325p2 w/ DMR n' NXDN
BCD436HP

My question, is. Is there a difference in P25 capability, between the 325p2 and 436HP? I am seeing a lot more activity courtesy of my 436HP. Than I have with my 325p2. :unsure:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, they both decode P25 Phase I and Phase II, so no...there is no difference in P25 capability. What you're experiencing sounds more like a reception issue than an issue of functionality. Or perhaps a programming issue. Or maybe the 436 slightly outperforms the 325. Could be any number of factors.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
This is anecdotal, but when I used to have a BCD435HP it "kinda worked" on the local P25 Phase II simulcast system.

My BCD325P2 does not work at all. Like won't even find the control channel.

I've had similar experiences with the mobile versions of both scanners. I programmed a BCD536HP for a friend and was surprised how much traffic it was picking up. My BCD996P2? Nothing. Using the same antenna fed through t multicoupler.

Is the P25 system to which you are trying to listen a simulcast system?

Chris0516

Well, they both decode P25 Phase I and Phase II, so no...there is no difference in P25 capability. What you're experiencing sounds more like a reception issue than an issue of functionality. Or perhaps a programming issue. Or maybe the 436 slightly outperforms the 325. Could be any number of factors.
I didn't think there was a difference in capability(but I had to ask). I thought about programming, but the 436HP has the same 'stuff', I programmed into the 325p2. Sure I have programmed in more since I got the 436HP for Christmas. But, it almost seems like it has better reception, outright.
This is anecdotal, but when I used to have a BCD435HP it "kinda worked" on the local P25 Phase II simulcast system.

My BCD325P2 does not work at all. Like won't even find the control channel.

I've had similar experiences with the mobile versions of both scanners. I programmed a BCD536HP for a friend and was surprised how much traffic it was picking up. My BCD996P2? Nothing. Using the same antenna fed through t multicoupler.

Is the P25 system to which you are trying to listen a simulcast system?
I have no problem w/ CC's on my 325p2. But marginal luck w/ Simulcast. Whereas, No problem w/ CC's or Simulcast on my 436HP. Same antenna, and location(lots' of trees').

Chris0516

You running both scanners off the same physical antenna or both scanners have the same brand and model antennas?
Just running the 436HP. Presently, I am using an SMA(Female)-BNC(Male) Adapter w/ a Tri-Band BNC(Female) antenna. I also have a Telescopic BNC(Female), along w/ the 'rubber duck' SMA(Female) that came w/ the 436.
Well the 436HP design is newer than the 325P2...newer design, newer circuits, better performance! MAYBE!!!!!!
I already thought about that. But that is the easy answer, not the full answer.
I don't own a 325P2 but can you adjust p25 threshold settings like you can with a 436?
I have already been doing that w/ the 325p2.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't own a 325P2 but can you adjust p25 threshold settings like you can with a 436?
The 996P2 and 325P2 both have the menu items for manual P25 threshold settings but they are not per system like the x36HP models. They are for all P25 systems in the scanners. So the threshold setting affects all P25 systems programmed into the P2 models.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Yes but apparently it's hidden.

P25 Threshold this is a hidden setting accessible only by turning off the radio and pressing Hold when you turn the scanner back on.
Scroll to 'P25 Threshold ' and press E/yes.
Scroll to Auto, Level 5-13 and press E/yes.

wtp

both squelch settings just above letting the noise through ?
for the 436,
Press Func then press the scroll control to display the squelch level. Turn the scroll control counter-clockwise all the way then clockwise until the noise stops, then one notch more.
for the 325,
set it to 2

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes but apparently it's hidden.

P25 Threshold this is a hidden setting accessible only by turning off the radio and pressing Hold when you turn the scanner back on.
Scroll to 'P25 Threshold ' and press E/yes.
Scroll to Auto, Level 5-13 and press E/yes.
No, that was on the older XT models and possibly early P2 firmware versions but it's always been in the standard settings part of the menu tree on all the xxxP2 models I've ever seen. And like I'd mentioned earlier, the P2 models also have a DMR Threshold setting as well. Also not a hidden menu item.
My P2 models were all purchased after a FW update or two had been released so it's very possible older firmware versions did still have the settings under the hidden menu which may be what you recall.
I've never seen it in a hidden menu on a P2 model though so you could very well be correct if it was still hidden in the early releases of the P2's.

I do know about the hidden menu you are talking about but on the XT models. It worked similar in how it works on the P2's as it was also a radio wide setting but I've only ever seen that on the XT models. It also did not have a true manual mode. UPMan explained the hidden settings for P25 in the later XT models and said the setting basically narrowed down the range the Auto P25 Threshold would search thru so the radio did not constantly search thru the entire range on P25 threshold settings trying to find the best one.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
On 996P2 with ver: 1.06.00 you must use the "hold" turning it on to adjust the levels, after versions updated its automatic,....