BCD325P2 Unable to program Type II/P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
Firmware is the latest (1.08.01) and I'm using FreeSCAN.

I imported a Motorola Type ll/P25 simulcast system from RR.
Prior to uploading, the Trunked System Setup screen showed the system type as Mot Type ll/P25
and the Site Setup screen showed the site as Mot P25/P25 Standard.

I uploaded the system and I'm not receiving it. I'm well withing range of the system.

When I download that system from the scanner back to FreeSCAN and check the programming, the system
has changed to P25 Standard/(Digital XT) and the site has changed to P25 Standard/(Digital XT).

........so I manually change both system and site to the proper Type ll/P25 settings, upload, do not pick up the
system, download and those 2 setting have once again changed to P25 Standard.

This cycle repeats itself.

Any thoughts?

tvengr

Well Known Member
What system are you trying to monitor? Suffolk Co has both a Motorola Type II and a P25 system. Please attach your FreeSCAN file and I will check it for problems.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
For the Motorola Type II system, the Site Type should be Mot Custom/Reband Type II. You will have to enter the following custom band plan into the table:

Band PlanBase Freq (lower)Base Freq (upper)OffsetPolaritySpacing
1851.025854.440+25 khz
2851.0125868.98750+25 khz
You can ignore the polarity and note that the step (spacing) and offset are reversed.

Last edited:

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to monitor the Suffolk P25 Phase 2 system. I'm not having a good night. I'm trying to attach my FreeSCAN file but it isn't working.

I get this: "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

I'm going to revisit all of this tomorrow.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Right click on the file and send it to a compressed (zipped) folder. Click on Attach Files and open the zipped folder. For the System and Site Type, it should be P25 Standard (Digital XT) for the P25 system.

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
This file started with an import from RR and I personalized it.
The one site I have programmed gives me the best signal.
The system and site are programmed P25 Standard (Digital XT).
The scanner is in Search ID mode.
No TGID's are locked out.
When I hold on the active control channel I see the system ID and an occasional TGID pop up.

I just tried listening for a few minutes before sending this. I heard a brief garbled burst of audio.
If the system and site are programmed correctly I'm now wondering if I need to tweak other
settings to get cleaner audio.

Attachments

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
A quick update.......I attached a mag mount antenna to the scanner and sat in my parked car for several minutes to try to keep the signal stable.

I am getting audio, pretty garbled and hard to understand most of the time.

.........so I would say the problem I had when I started this thread on how to program the system and site is resolved.

One problem solved, now another one created (garbled audio). I gotta start working on that.

tvengr, that you for responding to my post and your suggestions.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Garble can be a classic sign of simulcast distortion. So can no audio when there should be audio.

You could try taking your scanner to about 1/4 mile of a site and see if the garble clears up. If so, simulcast is your culprit.

There are things you can try to improve simulcast, such as turn attenuation on, use a directional antenna (more for base scanners than portable) or messing with the P25 settings to find a better combination.

I would not expect much improvement, however. This line of scanners is very bad when it comes to decoding simulcast systems. Only the SDS line is geared toward simulcast.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I see a lot of talkgroups in your file not listed in the database. Did you add some on your own? I would suggest turning off the digital AGC. The AGC action can increase garbled audio when you have simulcast problems. Turning on the attenuator and reducing the squelch setting can sometimes help with simulcast systems. I would enter all three sites and assign a quick key to each one so that you can easily turn the sites on and off to find which work best.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are a premium subscriber, FS will download and install the custom tables for that first system automagically.....Mike

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
I see a lot of talkgroups in your file not listed in the database. Did you add some on your own? I would suggest turning off the digital AGC. The AGC action can increase garbled audio when you have simulcast problems. Turning on the attenuator and reducing the squelch setting can sometimes help with simulcast systems. I would enter all three sites and assign a quick key to each one so that you can easily turn the sites on and off to find which work best.
I did add talkgroups not in the database anticipating that they will eventually be on that system. I will try your suggestions with the AGC/attenuator/quick key for all sites, thanks.

You could try taking your scanner to about 1/4 mile of a site and see if the garble clears up. If so, simulcast is your culprit.
..............messing with the P25 settings to find a better combination.
I will try this too, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.