BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD325P2 vs BCD436HP, few questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerF18

Hello All,

I realize this has been talked about a lot on here, but everyone has a different story in what they listen to. I currently own a Icom R5 w/ a Diamond SRH77CA antenna and RS Pro 89 and listen to mostly MIL/Civil Air, local ATC, AIR to AIR and travel to AIRshows. Would listen to local fire/police and ems but everything is digital. Looking to upgrade, I realize the 436 has a lot more features but scanner to scanner is the 436 that much better then the 325 in terms of scanning and sensitivity? Worth the extra money?.....and yes money is a deciding factor. Also will be keeping the SRH77CA antenna to put on my next scanner, love that antenna.

Not sure if it matters either but I don't really live in horribly busy area, but really miss the local fire/police!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I basically agree with W8RMH. My 436HP is better than my 325P2 on VHF and air. However, my 346XT, 300T, and 396XT are better on VHF analog and air than 436HP. I actually prefer my old PRO-43 for civ/mil air.
I'm becoming more convinced that most of the new digital trunking scanners are good tools for just that "digital trunking" and now DMR and hopefully NXDN. But for strictly analog VHF and civ/mil air, still hard to beat some of the older models like 396XT or non-digital analog scanners.
Digitally speaking, I think the 436HP is better than the 325P2, although the 325P2 is smaller to carry.
However, all the features including replay, recording, and database for use when traveling make the 436HP a much better deal IMO for another about $100.
But keep the IC-R5 and PRO-89 in your arsenal if possible.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the 325P2. That said, one of the reasons I don't have one is the battery life. With only 2 AA cells, and 5 to 6 hours on batteries, from what I've read that was the deal breaker. I do have it's cousin the 125AT. Only analog, no trunking, I get about 6 hours on the two batteries. I get 10-12 with the 436 while trunk tracking and decoding DMR.

If I may say, the 436HP is the better investment if you are looking to get into digital trunking. You get Phase 2 digital trunking, DMR, and better battery run time. Maybe in the future NXDN. The 436 is an excellent digital trunking scanner.

Of course, as mentioned above, the 396xt, 330T, or even the 346xt are great radios. Much better IMHO than the 436 on analog conventional frequencies.

sprite1741

I only get 6 hours on my new 436 with new batteries. Unidens advertising only claims 8 hours. I can't get a day out of mine in on and off use. The only reason I still have my 436 is I got a lightning deal on for $311. Otherwise I would send it back, I still might as I have until 1/31/17 to return.

scannersnstuff

i was a long time hold out for a p25 scanner. i took the plunge and got a 325p2. so far pretty happy with p25 and trunking. have not tried much vhf. the battery life is miserable. about 3 hr's.

ChargerF18

Wow....ok! Looks like both of these scanners are good with digital but just ok with analog....I get what everyone is saying, so with that is there a good all around scanner that would be good analog for what I want with the MIL/CIVIL Air and local ATC and also digital to hear my local fire/police??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcam406

im sure that the aforementioned scanners will be ok for what you want it for.alot of reception issues are location related not scanner related.

Status
Not open for further replies.