BCD396/996XT: Can I display both UIDs during an i-Call ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When listening to a pair of UIDs making an I-Call during TG list scan, or search, or i-Call TG hold, only one of the two UIDs is displayed. Is there a way to have the UID of the party who is speaking display his own UID as he speaks? If the i-Call unlatches momentarily and the same party continues the i-Call, the other UID may or may not be displayed. The only way that I could see what I want to see is to have the TG delay time to be zero. If I do this, I may well lose the continuity of the i-Call.

No need to suggest the PRO-197, as I have one; but I'd love to set this up on the XTs as well.

Thanks,

kma371

QRT
I'm assuming this is a Motorola system your talking about.

You're not the only with that sees that issue. Unless the repeater drops, it doesn't change unit ID's on the 996/396's for some reason. It works on EDACS systems fine.

kma371

QRT
Ok. I've never had a problem with that on EDACS systems. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm assuming this is a Motorola system your talking about.

You're not the only with that sees that issue. Unless the repeater drops, it doesn't change unit ID's on the 996/396's for some reason. It works on EDACS systems fine.

On analog Motorola systems, the RID is not transmitted on the voice channel (or at least it's not transmitted in a format the Unidens are designed to receive - I forget if it's transmitted in some kind of low-level data i.e. "subaudible tone"); only on the control channel. On digital systems/talkgroups, it is transmitted on both the control channel and the voice channel.

You get the 'first' RID in a conversation because the scanner picks it up off the control channel. (This is also related to why you sometimes don't get the RID - when the scanner starts receiving on the middle of a transmission, it's only being told "there's a still transmission going on on frequency 321 for talkgroup 160" - not "Radio 701001 wants to begin a transmission on talkgroup 160, give it frequency 321".)

I don't know for sure about EDACS systems, but I would imagine they behave in much the same way.

kma371

QRT
Ok thats a good explanation. Makes sense as to why I'd have to wait for the repeater drop before I can receive additional radio IDs, it needs the control channel data first.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I monitor the Franklin County Public Safety Trunking System, Columbus, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies, an analog Motorola Type II Smartnet. The I-call feature does not work on this system, however private calls, as they call them here, can be monitored by switching from scan to search mode. As the 2 units converse, both unit ids display as, 74xxxx-75xxxx, during the entire conversation. This is with a 396T which does not do Unit IDs.

If i put 700000 into a talk group it will receive ALL private calls on this system.

Last edited:

mrvegaz

I noticed a strange feature on my BR330T today related to this. This scanner doesn't have any bandscope function that I know of but I've seen one on the display before and wasn't sure how. Today while listening to an EDACS I-Call (programmed with the wildcard), I pushed the knob to adjust the volume and a bandscope came up showing me both active frequencies in use on the I-call, both on the graph and numerical.

Edit...after reading the OP again, this won't help since it's only giving me the control channels...not the UID as far as I can remember. I'll keep playing with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.