BCD396 speaker and rear case

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I guess after close to 11 years something was bound to happen. My 396xt took a nose dive to the drive cracked the rear case and apparently blew the speaker (audio through ear phones works).

The last information I can find on the case is several years old, speakers seem to be out there.

My question is does anyone have more recent information on finding parts for a 396. While it does not do newer systems (DMR or P25 P2), it is still a great scanner and I am loathe to loose it.

Many thanks for any help.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Speakers usually don't blow due to a drop. I would suspect a cracked circuit board or a plug that pulled out. Look for a crack in the circuit board and a hairline break in a foil or foils. Look very closely. The damage can be very difficult to see. I have soldered many a wire jumper across broken foils on radios that have been dropped..

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
replace the speaker with a new one and carefully glue the case together with crazy glue or something like that and let it sit over night to cure.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Speakers usually don't blow due to a drop. I would suspect a cracked circuit board or a plug that pulled out. Look for a crack in the circuit board and a hairline break in a foil or foils. Look very closely. The damage can be very difficult to see. I have soldered many a wire jumper across broken foils on radios that have been dropped..

I tend to agree, but one post from a few years ago now, mentioned the speakers are easily blown if dropped.

I will take a look at the board and see if there are any discernible cracks.

Thanks.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Be sure to check if the speaker is actually bad as well check with an ohm meter
396XT's are very prone to having speakers go out though. Had one of mine go recently along with just locally, others I've seen ~6 as well.

I found Uniden BSPG0590001 Internal Speaker - BCD396T, BCD396XT

Only one seller on ebay UNIDEN BCD396XT BCD396T BC346XT Scanner SPEAKER replacement SP590 SP453 | eBay

Been updating several times where to find them for quite awhile as well as today.
Model#'s to look for, sp590, sp453, BSPG0590001 and as shown in the next comment bspg0453001

Battery cover Uniden GCAS3B9808B Battery Cover - Fits BC346XT, BCD396XT

If your able to even find a 396T prior radio to the 396xt case that should work as well.

Another thing is good time to maybe get a carrying case for it? Uniden Bearcat Carry Cases for Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.