BCD396T Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchdisk

Since we are in Oct I noticed my scanner will cut off for a brief moment cuts out maybe one word then resumes with receiving the transmission then cuts out again for a word resumes again. It does this on both radio conversations that is going on between two agency's. Not sure if weather has anything to do with it. Cool to cold and clear for the most part. This happens when viper or conventional is being transmitted. Didn't notice this prior to Oct. This happens in the 800 m frequency's. This brings me to the antenna question I am looking to find an antenna that works well in the 800 m range being sma compatible with bcd396t. This may help in receiving. Not sure. I remember at times this would happen when I was in the army late 60's transmitting and receiving using the old prc 77 radios. I'm in Fayeteville,NC

n4yek

Sounds like one of your 'Priority' scans has become active, check those and make sure you have them off.

Last edited:

clutchdisk

Thank you for the information and input. Just turned off both weather and close call. Had them both on. Works like a charm again. Thanks again. And to think I was the one that turned those systems on. Kind of funny but the first question that was answered took care of the second question about the antenna. Antenna not needed and the weather was not any issue at all. Amazing ! Now where's my dunce cap ?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the information and input. Just turned off both weather and close call. Had them both on. Works like a charm again. Thanks again. And to think I was the one that turned those systems on. Kind of funny but the first question that was answered took care of the second question about the antenna. Antenna not needed and the weather was not any issue at all. Amazing ! Now where's my dunce cap ?

Nah, you'd be surprised how often the priority (or weather scan) think screws people up. It's damned annoying until you figure it out. Then you feel silly, but really shouldn't.

They're very complex scanners with a lot of semi obscure key sequences to turn them on and off.

clutchdisk

Settings questions

Have a few more questions about a couple of settings and entry's. Nextel (Fayetteville) motorola. I have this programed into the bcd396t but it don't seem to receive anything on nextel. Just scans right through it.Kind of a wasted group or I'm missing something again. Attenuator on or off. I have had this both way's and have not seen any differents on or off. I am in a high traffic area .On "on" I think it increases the db. So I left it off. And for the last one scan or search. Scan as I understand it scans the frequency's in that group and search finds active freq's in that group. So now I'm lost. If scan goes through the freq's and stops on a trnsimmision in that freq doesn't search do the same thing ? So would it be better to search or to scan ? I even bought a ham and scanner for dummy's but I need a book a few levels lower I think.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
NexHell uses a proprietary format that no scanner will decode. Don't waste your memory on these.

Let's be a bit more precise about scan and search, since in the 2 major operating modes they operate somewhat differently...

In a conventional sense, scan will only listen to the frequencies you have programmed. Search is different - it causes the scanner to look at frequency ranges that you either have programmed, or are already programmed in the case of a service search.

In trunking, ID Scan will only listen to the talkgroups you have programmed. ID Search will show you every talkgroup regardless of whether you have selected that talkgroup in a list or not.

Whether it is 'better' to search or scan depends on your application and what you are trying to accomplish. Let's keep with conventional operations here - trunking would be similar...

If you are trying to find undocumented freqs in your area, then search is the way to do this. However you must keep in mind that you must limit the amount of spectrum that you search in a single pass- otherwise you might miss a short transmission on a frequency that you just passed by. This is especially important in applications such as milair where the range of frequencies to check is so huge.

If you are only interested in hearing certain things, then scan is the way to go. You would program your frequencies (talkgroups if we're talking trunking here) with only those that interest you.

Applications such as amateur radio are a little easier in that repeater operation is in certain chunks of the spectrum. Without going into all the technicalities, you can start that easily enough with a little homework first. Look for your local coordinating council - someone on the NC list undoubtedly knows who that would be, or you can use the ARRL list to help find them. Then look at places like the ARTSCI website - sometimes they will have repeaters the council will not.

Keep in mind that the better and higher the antenna (within some limits) the better your results will be. That little duckie that comes with the scanner is, at best, a compromise - but that's a whole 'nother ballgame...

best regards..Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Nextel is not receivable, so you won't hear anything.

Trunked systems aren't scanned in the sense of switching between a bunch of frequencies. Instead, the scanner sits on the control channel and compares received channel grants and updates against what you have programmed in the scanner. ID Scan will restrict what conversations are followed to only those you have programmed (and not disabled or locked out). ID Search will follow any conversation (as long as you have not disabled it or locked it out).

clutchdisk

That explains a lot on search vs scan, nextel mot 1. Thank you all for the responses Nextel will be deleted.
I'm sure glad that there is this web site RR. Without this site I would be carrying around a costly red brick. I really appreciate everyone. Again thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.