BCD396T Audio and Phoenix Trunked APCO P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sipho

I have a BCD396T and the audio is not clear when trying to receive Phoenix PD on Simulcast A and also Mesa on Simulcast D as well as Gilbert PD.
I sent this radio into Uniden for repair and it came back after 3 weeks exactly the same. I've tried all the different settings as per manual on optimizing P25 performance. It only gets worse. Now not all transmissions are bad. Probably close to 20% are. They cut out or are distorted and sometimes sounds like overload. Other systems work and sound good.

I bought the RS 800mhz antenna and also have their base discone antenna and I've tried it in different locations as well. I can get 5 bars signal strength but the audio with the Phoenix trunk radio system is just not good. Other P25 audio from other sites are ok.

Question... Is this just the way it works here in Phoenix, or do I still have a bad radio?
Does anyone else have a BCD396T radio that listens to the Phoenix system and does it sound ok? Mesa and Gilbert PD and FD are dissapointing.

Question.... when I set up the system.. do I use Motorola P25 or Motorola Type II?

Maybe someone will clear this up for me.

Thanks for any suggestions

I'm in Gilbert

wlmr

I'll let others address Mesa & Gilbert reception with you but be aware that Simulcast A's coverage footprint is for Metro Phoenix "North" of South Mountain. Definitely wasn't intended for Mobile/Portable operation in Gilbert. Try Simulcast C instead.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
It's not the scanner that sucks. It's the system. Nuff said.

Here's an experiment you can try... go to central Phoenix someplace and listen to simulcast A - total crapola... then try simulcast B... works much better. Why is that? No one knows, not even Moronarola.

It's not your scanner. It's Phoenix. Heh - if you think this is bad just wait for Light Rail...another waste of taxpayer money.

-AZ

Sipho

Thanks for the comments... It's good to know that I didn't get ripped on my scanner and for now that's all the better it works. Hard to believe that such a lousy system would be accepted and put up with. The first part of the transmission is bad and it varies from time to time. It's a full time job trying to find a happy balance. But I had nothing to compare it to. I guess I was expecting it to work better than the analog system. I don't get to downtown Phoenix very often but will sure take note when I do.

Thanks again for your comments and help.

InlandAZ

wlmr said:
I'll let others address Mesa & Gilbert reception with you but be aware that Simulcast A's coverage footprint is for Metro Phoenix "North" of South Mountain. Definitely wasn't intended for Mobile/Portable operation in Gilbert. Try Simulcast C instead.
I can vouch for Simulcast C - I live in Chandler, just outside of Tempe near Rural, and Phoenix PD comes in loud and clear.

@AZScanner - somewhat unrelated (but at least it's the same system) what order do you suggest for the Mesa CC's? I swear my scanner is deaf to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.