BCD396T Battery Indicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sometimes-(Even after a full charge)-my 396T will indicate that it has a low battery, What would be the cause of this?

n2mdk

If I had to guess I would say a bad battery is the most likely cause. How old are the batteries?

Portable14

Banned
The batteries are over 2600Mah capacity and they are less than three months old. And another thing, After the low battery indicator comes on, It usually goes away even if I don't plug the scanner into its charger.

tomandnic

sounds like a bad battery, even a single bad battery may cause this
only way to know try a new set of batteries even cheap non re-chargables see if it happens.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Portable14 said:
The batteries are over 2600Mah capacity and they are less than three months old. And another thing, After the low battery indicator comes on, It usually goes away even if I don't plug the scanner into its charger.
FYI, the 396 is designed to run on 2300mAh batteries.... I use Duracell 2650mAh rechargeables in mine and alternate charging in the radio AND using a Duracell Power Gauge charger.... my 396 and her companions run for ten to twelve hours nightly on battery, the 396 is the only one to require fresh set of batteries.... by the way, with the 2300mAh OEM batteries (one died recently) I was only getting about six hours use while the Duracell 2650mAh last almost ten hours...

mitaux8030

Silent Key
That'll be a battery problem most likely.
You can also try cleaning your battery contacts - this can cause some problems, but probably not to the extent that you describe.
I found the OEM batteries to be of good quality, but never the less I purchased two sets of 2700mAh batteries - and both failed after a few months use (in use 2 out of 3 days on average). When new, they worked fine, but quickly lost efficiency and ended up running for less than half their original run time - the same thing happened to the second set too. Likewise, they'd show low voltage after a full charge cycle - and it was only one cell that was the problem in each instance. I put it down to poor quality cells, and now only use these in TV remotes etc.
I'm now running on a set of Duracel 2650mAh cells which seem to be fine so far.

But ALL batteries will lose effectiveness with age, so your 2 year old "2500mAh" batteries may actually only be holding the equivalent of new "1600mAh" batteries - and thats only if the cells were of good quality and treated well in their life. Normally rechargable batteries last about 18 months under general use before needing replacement - well thats what I find anyway.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Over on CandlePowerForum (flashlights) there has been a lot of discussion about rechargeable AA batteries. The high capacity type seem to have a higher self-discharge rate than lower capacity and in general shorter operating life. Something about the internal construction used to achieve the higher capacity in the same volume.

Eneloop (sp?) brand at 2100 ma gets good marks for low self-discharge and life at a lower capacity. Which capacity to use depends on usage. As an example in my digital camera I might use once or twice a month the low self-discharge is more important than high capacity and longer run-time to battery swap/charge.

Anyway the point is that one of your batteries could be bad giving you the odd behavior.

mike

troymail

Silent Key
I had some fairly new Duracell 2650s that only lasted 2-3 months before they no longer took or held a charge...

The first and most obvious test would be trying another set of batteries -- if you still notice a problem then consider the radio as a problem (not likely unless you know something happen - it got wet, dropped, etc.). EDIT: what voltage reading are you getting on the "fully charged" batteries? (push down on the volume/squelch/selector knob). I think my fully charged batteries were 4.00 + v and the radio starts complaining around 3.5 v

Last edited:

Portable14

Banned
I switched back to the batteries that came with it, And so far have not had any problems...

XTS3000

This just happened to me the other day, the voltage was around 3.8v and the low battery indicator was flashing. Turned the 396 off then on, same low battery. Cleaned the batteries and 396's batt contacts, still same low battery. Checked the batteries with a tester, and all batteries checked goood AND at the same approx voltage level.

This has never happened before, and has not done it again since.

I can't explain the premature low battery indicator.

Portable14

Banned
Portable14 said:
I switched back to the batteries that came with it, And so far have not had any problems...

Well,I switched back to the regular batteries and I listened to my scanner and half-way through the work day (I'm fortunate enough to be allowed ti listen to it at work) it indicated a low battery (AGAIN!!!), But this time, It didn't die, It kept on going (Like the energizer bunny), and lasted another 4 hours until I got it home to put it on charge.....I've been reading some of the posts here in the uniden forum, and I think the first thing I'm going to do is clean the battery contacts, Then if that doesn't work, I shall get some new batteries......Can anyone tell me what I can use to clean the battery contacts?

troymail

Silent Key
Portable14 said:
Well,I switched back to the regular batteries and I listened to my scanner and half-way through the work day (I'm fortunate enough to be allowed ti listen to it at work) it indicated a low battery (AGAIN!!!), But this time, It didn't die, It kept on going (Like the energizer bunny), and lasted another 4 hours until I got it home to put it on charge.....I've been reading some of the posts here in the uniden forum, and I think the first thing I'm going to do is clean the battery contacts, Then if that doesn't work, I shall get some new batteries......Can anyone tell me what I can use to clean the battery contacts?

Maybe it doesn't matter but what firmware are you using? Also - what is your "Battery Save" setting and do you use the backlight much?

Portable14

Banned
troymail said:
Maybe it doesn't matter but what firmware are you using? Also - what is your "Battery Save" setting and do you use the backlight much?

My firm-ware is 1.13.17

My current "Battery save" setting is on.

And I use the backlight most of the time.

Portable14

Banned
Just an update...

As of now, I'm using the regular 2300Mah batteries that came with the scanner and on a full charge, I get 5 hours before the low battery indicator starts beeping, And after it does I get at least another hour........I guess this is just the best I can hope for? How long is the low-battery indicator supposed to beep for before the scanner completely shuts off???

Status
Not open for further replies.