BCD396T DC Power Cord issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt71301

I wanted to know if anyone else has issues with the DC charging cord for this unit? Mine has an issue where the cord enters the lighter plug, it has to be moved around in order to get the LED to turn red....which indicates charging is in progress. I'm sure it has to do with the crappy, small-gauge wire they use. Anyone know of a better charging cord or a good fix for this one?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As documented elsewhere, you don't want to use the 396 to recharge batteries; unlike it's newer cousin the 396XT, there's no firmware setting to control the charge time, and it's very easy to cook your batteries if you forget. It can get quite hot after a while.

73 Mike

pt71301

So what's the solution to that issue that I wasn't aware of? I don't leave the unit on charge unless it's in the vehicle while I'm working....I do unplug it if I can feel the case getting warm. Is there another plug to buy or any other ideas? I appreciate this info, thank you!

DJ88

The best solution would be to purchase a AA battery charger and an extra set of batteries and charge them. When the ones in the scanner die, or when you feel they are getting low on charge, use the charged set and then recharge the ones that came out of the scanner.

pt71301

Yeah, not an option since I have to rely on an in-vehicle outlet when I'm working. I have one at home but with my schedule, I don't have the ability to rely on being home when I need to be.

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
I have an Energizer CH15MN battery charger, that comes equipped with cigarette lighter attachment for vehicle use.

Hope this helps.

ChargerSRT8

Premium Subscriber
So what's the solution to that issue that I wasn't aware of? I don't leave the unit on charge unless it's in the vehicle while I'm working....I do unplug it if I can feel the case getting warm. Is there another plug to buy or any other ideas? I appreciate this info, thank you!
The BC396T uses a timer charge. So every time you plug in the charge cord it starts the time charge (14hrs?, I'm not sure). The proper way to treat re-chargeable,cells is to let them run down, then do a complete charge. So , having a second set of cells to rotate into the scanner while the depleted set recharges is the best way to go. Having a battery case of six or nine cells to swap may fit your needs and get you by till you can recharge on a stand alone charger.
You can also run the scanner off of the DC power cord with out the internal charger operating. The switch to turn the internal charger off is in side the battey compartment.
Plugging in the DC cord to top off the cells is ok, but I would not leave it on very long without knowing the status of your cell capacity. There are chargers available to work off DC power cords if being mobile is important to you.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.