BCD396T Dead following ESN Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

BucknB

My 396 is now dead! All I have is a 'blue screen of death'... I did the ESN Loader without incident. Ran all 3/3 and even ended providing me with a 'valid' ESN and Check Sum. Both of which I was able to successfully load on the Uniden site. Now I am unable to turn on my radio by any method. Not by AC supply or battery. The only way I can get anything is to hold LO and 6 as if I was loading the ESN again. Then, all I have now is the blue back light and nothing else. I have attempted a full reset (HOLD/2/9 - ON) to no avail. Nothing, nada, zilch... I'm unable to use UASD and my usb cable is functioning properly. Any suggestions before I call Uniden support. Really frustrating!

Bill

BucknB

pogbobo said:
check out the section entitled "don't panic" under the first post of this thread:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102611
I'm not panicing. Problem is radio long longer works. Cannot turn on radio. Cannot RERUN ESN loader. I've read all the troubleshooting comments and nothing is mentioned about what to do when you can no longer turn on your radio or run UASD or anything else...

pogbobo

i'm not accusing you of panicking ... if you had read the post i directed you to, you would have seen that the most common solution to your problem is simply trying to re-apply the firmware update again ... check out the first post of that thread, as well as the entire thread for more info ... best of luck to you :)

BucknB

I attempted to reapply the ESN loader to no avail. I've also attempted to run VUP following ESN loader and it cannot see my radio connected to the working port. Thanks for the thoughts. I think this is going to be a situation requiring an RMA... If you read this Paul, I'd appreciate your input...

Bill

JRM5204

Sounds similiar to the problem I am having with my 996 except I never got the ESN but my radio is also been dead for the last few days.

pogbobo

We have received several scanners in because they "failed during and update" and we've never had to do anything other than apply the update. We didn't use any special tools or computers...we just ran the same program that we issued to you and it worked. So, if you have problems take a deep breath, read all of the troubleshooting tips provided with the update, and give it another shot.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102611

BucknB

Problem Solved - Didn't Panic...

Okay, so the ESN Loader does not explain that once you have your ESN and Check Sum, you need to stay connected and immediately run the new VUP. I am running windows vista, which may have something to do with it. I had to run VUP 4 times because it said it could not extract setup etc. When I finally closed all my windows, there it was. Successfully installed VUP! I ran it and got the latest firmware applied. I can now turn on and off my radio and it seems to be none worse for my worry. Note, I didn't say 'panic'... lol I am able to run menu/settings/see scanner info/firmware version and confirm my ESN, Check Sum, M-Ver and firmware version. So all the yellin was for not. I'm just thankful I persisted despite the uncooperative (either) hardware (my machine) or software (vista? - VUP?)... Bill

Viper43

Thats due to people abusing it so it is set to moderate all posts... well 99% those who can help you can pretty much post ASAP.

Still no luck on yours

Viper43

OK, you may have one of the very rare ones that needs tto go back to Uniden. I don't know what else to try.

V

_godawgs_

BucknB said:
Okay, so the ESN Loader does not explain that once you have your ESN and Check Sum, you need to stay connected and immediately run the new VUP. I am running windows vista, which may have something to do with it. I had to run VUP 4 times because it said it could not extract setup etc. When I finally closed all my windows, there it was. Successfully installed VUP! I ran it and got the latest firmware applied. I can now turn on and off my radio and it seems to be none worse for my worry. Note, I didn't say 'panic'... lol I am able to run menu/settings/see scanner info/firmware version and confirm my ESN, Check Sum, M-Ver and firmware version. So all the yellin was for not. I'm just thankful I persisted despite the uncooperative (either) hardware (my machine) or software (vista? - VUP?)... Bill

Its not vista...I have vista and i had no problems..updated in less than 30 min...so you are down to two possiblities now..

Viper43

_godawgs_ said:
Its not vista...I have vista and i had no problems..updated in less than 30 min...so you are down to two possiblities now..

It may still be Vista, it could be a lot of things, just because Vista works with one setup doesn't mean it will with another, there are so many things that can go wrong at any time.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Did you set your baud rate to 57600? It may help to go at a slower setting for your com port.

Status
Not open for further replies.