BCD396T / DPS problems in Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

grodgers

I have a BCD396T w/firmware 3.02.02. For the life of me, I can't get any DPS reception. I've programmed manually, I've used Freescan - i get nothing. I don't know if it is just my location, but you'd think i'd get something...but not a whimper.

Last attempt, I used Freescan to import DPS Dallas, DPS Sherman, DPS Texarkana as well as the Statewide APCO25 systems.

I get absolutely nothing.

I have my trunked systems (Collin County and Plano Public Service) working fine. Is DPS doing something funky?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes, have QK's setup for both the system and groups. Not a peep.
If you're using the 396T (not an XT), be sure that you have the frequencies set without without a DCS code or PL tone. That field needs to be set as "None". Also, you may want to check the mode field. I believe that most of the DPS stations/mobiles are actually using "FM". However, the default import mode in FreeScan is "Auto", which in the 396T is roughly equivalent to a FMN. That's going to affect you as well. Try importing the attached *.usd file into FreeScan. It's the statewide frequency plan (without the duplicated frequencies due to the NAC codes, which the 396T can't use anyway), with PL/DCS set to NONE & mode set to FM.

Which antenna are you using? Post your FreeScan file. (Probably need to either zip it or add a ".txt" extension to the file name.)

Last edited:

grodgers

Thanks for the file - I will import it in the morning and let you know how it works out, and post mine as well.

I am using the stock antenna - yes, i know range is limited, but I still believe that after 2-3 hours of monitoring, I should hear at least a peep.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the file - I will import it in the morning and let you know how it works out, and post mine as well.

I am using the stock antenna - yes, i know range is limited, but I still believe that after 2-3 hours of monitoring, I should hear at least a peep.
I would think, at least, you could hear Denton, or maybe Sherman. However, they don't talk as much as they used to, using the MDT's more.

Status
Not open for further replies.