BCD396T issue, "bad TGID" error on LTR TGID entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey there. I`m wondering on something here, i was programming an LTR system into my 396T, and when i attempted to enter a TGID i got the error, "bad TGID", Tried it a number of times, entering it exactly as i read it from the RR DB, what i`m wondering is, what is happening that i can`t enter this perticular TGID? On a related bit, i did an experiment entering a TGID on a MOT system i have programmed and it worked no problem at all. If i give ya the TGID, can ya help me? The one i entered (from the DB) is, 0-01-415, which was listed as the DEC (decimal) format for that TGID, but it was shown as the AFS format. Any thoughts? Thanx! N9NRA

DJ88

When you enter the talk group are you doing it like this?
0.(decimal point) 01.(decimal point) 415
If not, do it that way and it should work.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
"bad TGID" error

When you enter the talk group are you doing it like this?
0.(decimal point) 01.(decimal point) 415
If not, do it that way and it should work.

Just tried it again the way ya mentioned, that`s the procedure i used initally to enter it, and still get the error. Looking at the manual i found that this may be an out-of-range UID (user ID, the thrid number in the TGID, aa-hh-uuu where a=area code, h=home repeater, and u=user id). This now begs a curious question, if this is the id that was really assigned for this TG, one has to wonder if this was on purpose to keep folks from scanning it? Or mabey it was a DB mistake too? Intresting, to be sure, but that`s the fun of scanning :). N9NRA

trumpetman

Database Admin
What system are you trying to monitor?

It could be several things. The first thing that jumps out at me is that the highest a User ID can be is 254, so 415 is invalid. The information was not intentionally submitted to lead folks away, it was more than likely a typo. Let us know what system you're trying to program and we can help you trouble shoot.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
"bad TGID" error

Okay, the system i`m setting up is a LTR one that appears to be recently added to the DB for Wisconsin>marathon county >system, Northway communications Wausau. I ran the system in ID search and did get another ID that does work (0-14-015, appears to be some kinda construction company), anyways, should i just let it go in ID search and see what i get? Other than that bit, everything i programmed seems to be good. I can pm you with a bit more that i`d rather keep off the thread. N9NRA

trumpetman

Database Admin
0-14-015 would make the most sense since there is an LCN of 14 (the middle, home channel). If you're picking up relevant traffic on this talkgroup then that's probably a typo. I'll submit a ticket for the admin of that area to make the correction.

For a small LTR system like that, I would run it in ID Search mode to find out new channels in use, since there is only one channel that's listed so far. The fact that you are picking up traffic does mean it's programmed right for all your other information. Stick with 0-14-015 for right now and you should be fine.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
0-14-015 would make the most sense since there is an LCN of 14 (the middle, home channel). If you're picking up relevant traffic on this talkgroup then that's probably a typo. I'll submit a ticket for the admin of that area to make the correction.

For a small LTR system like that, I would run it in ID Search mode to find out new channels in use, since there is only one channel that's listed so far. The fact that you are picking up traffic does mean it's programmed right for all your other information. Stick with 0-14-015 for right now and you should be fine.

Hey cool :). Thanx! N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.