BCD396T or BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerowner

I am really considering getting a BCD396T or a BCD396XT for when I am out and about without worrying about taking the BCD996T with me. I am impressed with the 996T. I can't decide which handheld would be better. I would like a cheap priced one, and the only thing holding me back from getting the 396XT is that it doesn't have the UASD software yet. Any ideas how long it will be til they get it? I can't seem to find a reasonably priced 396T anywhere on the web. . . I'm just gathering opinions, and wish I could find one cheap somewhere.Thanks for any ideas in advance.

ClemeRo1

Premium Subscriber
Check out Ebay. BCD396T items - Get great deals on Electronics, Business Industrial items on eBay.com!
There some good deals sometine. A couple of month ago, there was a BCD396T for arround 200$US and the seller even included an external antena, the ARC software and the programming cable (I regret I didn't bought it). Sweet deal. The BCD396XT on eBay are all arround the 500$-600&US. You could always wait a couple of years for the price to lower if you absolutly want a XT.

Last edited:

rc1990

Since the T is no longer made get the XT, it's a better radio.......

So! It's at your avantage then if they are no longer made. That means they will be sold at a reduced price. Scanners are not like a computer where you bring them to Staples or FutureShop to get them serviced. A scanner : you buy it and that's it! No virus, nothing.

A SCANNER IS NOT A COMPUTER.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I am really considering getting a BCD396T or a BCD396XT for when I am out and about without worrying about taking the BCD996T with me. I am impressed with the 996T. I can't decide which handheld would be better. I would like a cheap priced one, and the only thing holding me back from getting the 396XT is that it doesn't have the UASD software yet. Any ideas how long it will be til they get it? I can't seem to find a reasonably priced 396T anywhere on the web. . . I'm just gathering opinions, and wish I could find one cheap somewhere.Thanks for any ideas in advance.

I owned a 396T and now own a 396XT. In my opinion, the XT is FAR superior to the 396T.

W6KRU

i have a 396T and a 396XT and use both of them. The XT has many advantages over the T. The UASD is not a concern at all. When I got my T I downloaded and installed UASD. I used it about 1/2 hour before I got something more useful. I have never used UASD since then. It isn't very useful and far from user friendly. Freescan is a much better program and I use it for both the T and XT. Freescan is free but everyone who uses it should donate a few bucks to Asssaf for the work he puts into it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The 396T is a very good scanner, the XT is a great scanner. If you can afford it, you should get it. If not, there really is nothing organically wrong with the T. It's two generations back in technology since it was the first DMA scanner. I never liked the UASD software, so for me that wouldn't be a reason not to get the XT. Free Scan is pretty good, and when the retooled BCTool comes out, that will be good software as well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT is a lot more friendly to multi-site systems, so if you will be listening to a state-wide system or do much travelling through states with this type of system, you'll be happier with that model. The 396T doesn't do those very easily.

Also, off the top of my head, I think there is a little more memory to the 396XT, and it can do unit IDs on P25 systems if that is of interest to you.

You have a choice of Blue, Blue or Blue backlight on the 396T, but several colors on the XT, most of which are easier to see than the Blue.

So unless you find one heck of a price deal on the 396, the XT is your best bet.

I'd also cough up the $70 for the ARC XT Pro software - it's worth it, as long as you can find the $.

Status
Not open for further replies.