BCD396T power supply issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Earlier this week, I accidentally brought the wrong voltage AC power cord on a trip to power my BCD396T. I immediately unplugged the unit after seeing "Illegal Voltage" and realizing my mistake and feeling really dumb. I though all was ok until I got home...

When using good batteries alone, the scanner works fine.
When plugged into my vehicle using DC, the scanner does display "Charge Off," but when powered on, it dies after the splash screen. If batteries are not in the unit, the scanner does not display anything or turn on.
When plugged into the AC adapter that came with the unit, the scanner displays "Illegal Voltage." If batteries are not in the unit, the scanner does not display anything or turn on.

I'm assuming I fried something by using the wrong power supply. So, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the best route (price and time wise) for repair... Uniden, or something else. I'm just thankful it works on batteries. Any similar experiences? Thanks.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I thought of Uniden first, but I've heard that the turn around time for repairs are really long. If that's the best way to go, then sure I'll go with Uniden, but I'd like to see if there is anything else out there.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I think its about a $50 fix from Uniden.. happened to quite a few people using aftermarket car chargers or wrong voltage.

I dont know of anybody else who will fix it for that low FLAT RATE price.

Either operate it as it is (keep lots of batteries) or send it back to Uniden

ucobaseball

I had a similar problem with mine...I would use the power cord that came with the scanner to power it when I was at home and recharge the batteries and then all of the sudden one day it just wouldn't work. I can use batteries and the ac adapter in my truck to power it but can no longer power it at my house with the original cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.