bcd396t questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

Hello all. Some quick questions on Uniden's BCD399t.

1) Does this unit feature the alert feature that changes the screens background color?

2) When used with the Uniden remote head, are these alert colors still available via the head?

3) How does this radio compare in performance to the GRE models?

Thanks for any insight. New to Uniden products and may have a chance to play with one of these soon.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The answer to #1 is no..So I would think #2 is also no..

As for #3 I can't help as I've never had a GRE...

vinzep491

Ok. Thank you for the info.

Does anyone know if it has any alert feature at all? I have hunted down the Easier to Read Manual and see something in regards to Audio Alerts... would this be similar to a chirp or a beep?

Is there any way to set the backlight on or off at all as an alert, even if it is only in the one generic color?

Has anyone used one of these in conjunction with a Remote Head?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The only alerts, visual or audio the 396t has are for Weather Alert, and Fire Tone out. Getting it to do what you want would require changes to the firmware..

ampulman

Is there any way to set the backlight on or off at all as an alert, even if it is only in the one generic color?

Even if you could, the display intensity is such (weak, IMO), that if you weren't looking directly at it, you'd probably miss it.

Not that I would necessarily recommend a GRE unit, their LED, set to a bright color and flashing, gets my attention.

Amp

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
From the Uniden Manual: (This is what you are looking for)
Setting Channel Alert
Program System
Select the system Edit Group
Select the group
Edit Channel
Select the channel
Set Alert
Off - the scanner does not alert you to emergency
transmissions.
Alert 1 - 9 - the scanner sounds an alert beep to
notify you of the emergency transmission. You can
choose any of 9 different beep types.
Set Level
Auto - the scanner automatically sets the emergency
alert beep to the master volume level.
Level 1 - 15 - the scanner adjusts the volume you
hear to the level you select.

Sorry, it's not a feature I used, so I've never played with it.

teufler

via Freescan, I have set channels to alert tones (9 of them) then I have 7 background colors that can be assigned. Some alerts are just chirps, some siren sounds. Once you use the software, you can set each frequency (channel) exactly the way you want. I have programmed the GRE 500 via the Butel software. It is a good radio but I think you would be satisfied with either unit. The audio on the GRE 500 was louder. External speaker plugged into both units. The 396xt still sounded "tinney". The GRE units sounder fuller, The unit had a bass sound.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
But he's talking about the 396T, not XT.. 396T doesn't not have multiple colors for the display

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
YOUR RIGHT, I MISSED THAT.

Honest mistake, no biggie.. I find your comment about the 396XT being tinny interesting.. My 396T doesn't sound half bad.. Except for the one dispatcher that can crack glass at 100 yards...

Status
Not open for further replies.