BCD396T quick keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki6bu

I received my new receiver 2 days ago and have been playing with it. This is by far the hardest radio to figure out. I don't have a clue how to use the quick keys. After reading the manual until my eyes started bleeding, I can't get it to work. I'm in Mesa, AZ and the quick key for Mesa PD is 22. The only way I can get to that group is by twisting the top knob several hundred times after putting the radio on hold. ARGH!!! It tells me to push scan . 22, when I do this the radio goes to TV Broadcast.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

swest90

The scanner comes preprogrammed with several systems, If you hadnt cleared them out there is a possibility that there tv broadcast system with the quick key of 22. I have erased the preprogrammed systems so I am not certain but thats my guess. Try assigning it a quick key in the 90's just to test, I dont think there are any systems preprogrammed in that area. To change the quick keys from the scanner, Menu->Program System->Select System->Edit Sys-Options->Edit Quickkey

Give it some time and you will be amazed with this scanner, the 100 quick keys are AWESOME.

Shawn

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
If Mesa is on system quick key (SQK) 22, then while scanning, press " . " + " 2 " + " 2 " to toggle 22 on or off. It is in the manual.

ki6bu

I think this radio is screwed up. I turn it on, press the scan button, it starts to scan what ever, I guess they are groups that are stored, evertime I press scan it goes to the next group. Then I press "." "2" "2" to go to that group and this is what happens: Pressing "." makes the s0 in the display flash, pressing "2" changes s0 to s2 and is flashing (so far so good I think), and the display after that shows this : 1**4567890, then when I press "2" again I get this: s2:12*4567890, the radio stays on the original frequency and does not go to that group. Now evertime I repeat this the display changes between s2:1**4567890 and s2:12*4567890 and the radio doesn't change frequencies. ARGH

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You have WAY TOO MANY systems selected. Every number showing up in that line is a system you are scanning. Get the software, play with it that way, and upload to scanner.

It is scanning the system you want, but that and 100 others at the same time...

ki6bu

Thats for the reply, it helped a lot. Its hard to understand how this receiver works without a walkthrough even though the manual is stuffed with info. The problem with the manual is it gives no practical use information. Anyways I downloaded ACR396 demo and deleted 99 percent of the "stuff" loaded into the receiver when received. I have it scanning between a conventional freq. and a trunk system and now understand how the quick key works (poor choice of name, I assumed that quick key would move receiver directly to the freq. I wanted or system, it just locks in/out systems.
Is there a way to have the receiver go directly to a system by entering in the system key number? I'm also still confused about the GRP row and how to use them. Thanks for the help guys. (amazing that I can work my multi thousand dollar ham rigs in a matter of a few min. out of the box and this little thing is driving me nuts. It needs more buttons!!!)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Systems are assigned to System Quick Keys (mostly), System Quick Keys (SQK) are toggled via the method I mentioned before and you successfully did. The "S2" indicates you are looking at system assigned to the SQK's in the 20's, just like "S0" would indicate you are looking at SQK's below 10. That said, each system can have groups. Groups are assigned to the Group Quick Keys (GQK), there are only 10 GQK's (0-9) and are toggled on and off with the <Function> + <# key>. Both SQK's and GQK's show active by showing the number and disabled by showing a "*". When there is nothing assigned to the key it doesn't show either.

Both Systems and Groups do not have to be assigned to a quick key, and if they are not, they are assigned a default status "." in the UASD software and the radio, and cannot be toggled on or off. Hope that helps.

RISC777

ki6bu said:
I think this radio is screwed up. I turn it on, press the scan button, it starts to scan what ever, I guess they are groups that are stored, evertime I press scan it goes to the next group. Then I press "." "2" "2" to go to that group and this is what happens: Pressing "." makes the s0 in the display flash, pressing "2" changes s0 to s2 and is flashing (so far so good I think), and the display after that shows this : 1**4567890, then when I press "2" again I get this: s2:12*4567890, the radio stays on the original frequency and does not go to that group. Now evertime I repeat this the display changes between s2:1**4567890 and s2:12*4567890 and the radio doesn't change frequencies. ARGH
Do some "practicing." Turn every system off by toggling it's System Quick Key (SQK). Then turn one on at a time, for instance 22 which you mentioned. Then turn two or three on (and off) to get used to toggling systems on and off. You'll "get used to it" then.

Another thought is, any (or all) of the pre-programmed systems they ship it with that you do not listen to (or can't because it's in another state), delete them out of the scanner. I deleted every one of them first thing when I got mine. Then you'll only be working with what is local to you, or only what you have programmed into yours.

As responded to already, any Key that is inactive will show an asterisk . . . " * "
If it (system or group) is active / turned 'on' it will show it's number . . . " 2 "
If nothing is assigned to a Key it will show that by a dash . . . " - "

I've got a system that has an SQK of 9 and no Group Keys, so my display will show:
S0: ********9-
GRP----------
This means Systems 1 through 8 are off / inactive and only 9 is on / active.

(Don't ask me why the Group line has 10 dashes when there's only 9 GQKs, I don't know the answer to that one.)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
RISC777 said:
...(Don't ask me why the Group line has 10 dashes when there's only 9 GQKs, I don't know the answer to that one.)
Because there are 10 GQK's :lol:
1-0. Of course you would number them 1-10 but the keys run 1-0.

ki6bu

Thanks guys, now that makes sense. I deleted all the systems that I didn't need and understand how to turn on/off the different systems. It was still scanning CB, HAM, AIR and others, Service Search, I figured out how to turn those off.
Now I'm trying to figure out this group key stuff.

Thanks again for all the help guys!!!!

Bill2k

ki6bu said:
Now I'm trying to figure out this group key stuff

To use group quick keys make sure you have quick keys assigned to those groups. Then all you have to do is:

1. Press and hold function key
2. Use selector knob to locate the system
3. Enter the group quick key you want to activate/deactivate
4. Release function key

If you have no problems using HAM equiptment you'll figure out the 396 in no time. The cool thing about system quick keys is you can turn on/off multiple systems with one (or three) buttons. I have 5 systems assigned to quick key 3, 2 trunked systems and 3 conventional systems.

FYI: If you lockout a system or group, activating the system/group via the quick key, will not unlock the system or group.

Status
Not open for further replies.