BCD396T & Reverse Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
I am usually "fairly comfortable" with the BCD396T but I am experiencing the following:

When the scanner is operating on HAM Bands (VHF & UHF), I press on [Func + .NO] and I obtain the reverse frequency and signal (if applicable).
However, when I try this in the 410 or 160 MHz (for example), the 396 is displaying " Error No Reverse ".

Is there something I am forgetting in the settings or else ?

Thank you in advance for your response.

spooney

When it says error its just telling you there is no reverse (offset) frequency for the one you are trying.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your response.

There are reverse frequencies for the various frequencies I am trying and for which I obtain this error message.
This is in fact the fundamental of my question
(otherwise I would have never asked this question).

Last edited:

jerk

Thank you for your response.

There are reverse frequencies for the various frequencies I am trying and for which I obtain this error message.
This is in fact the fundamental of my question
(if there would have not been any reverse frequency; I would have never asked this question).

There is not a Standard offset.
Only VHF ham repeaters, UHF and higher frequencies that have a standard offset will you get a reading. It's just fluff if you ask my opinion.

So you get an error, and will continue to get an error. The scanner is working fine.
Check the manual again.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is no standard reverse offset for the bands or frequencies you are trying to "reverse" on. So, the scanner has no ability to determine what frequency you want it to switch to. Some bands have standard offsets...on those bands the feature works.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for your response

So what you are telling me (if I understand correctly) is that the BCD396T is configured (for repeater reverse purposes) with the standard HAM Offsets (+0.6/-0.6 for VHF and +5.0/-5.0 for UHF) but doesn't have (for example) the +5.0 offset to operate in the 410-415 MHz portion of the Spectrum ?

Thank you so much for your answer...

Mr. newsalan,
I understand you are probably a "King" on this forum but with all respects, I am rather familiar with the BCD396T operating manual so I don't understand why you are saying to someone with a fairly legitimate, reasonnable (and first) question to check the manual again.
And NO I didn't ask for your opinion, I already have my own on both wonderful scanners (BCD396T and BCD996T)

Last edited:

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for your response

So what you are telling me (if I understand correctly) is that the BCD396T is configured (for repeater reverse purposes) with the standard HAM Offsets (+0.6/-0.6 for VHF and +5.0/-5.0 for UHF) but doesn't have (for example) the +5.0 offset to operate in the 410-415 MHz portion of the Spectrum ?

Thank you so much for your answer...

Mr. newsalan,
I understand you are probably a "King" on this forum but with all respects, I am rather familiar with the BCD396T operating manual so I don't understand why you are saying to someone with a fairly legitimate, reasonnable (and first question) to check the manual again.
And NO I didn't ask for your opinion, I already have my own on both wonderful scanners (BCD396T and BCD996T)

Welcome to the RR forums Pierre. Sometimes on forums you have to grow a 'thick skin' and not let some posts/replies get to ya. On the internet it is difficult to understand if someone is being rude or helpful! That is why there are 'emoticons' right? :) Many times here I have posted a Q and received many replies. Some were helpful, some were not. Just sit back and enjoy the 'show'. Read all you can here..there is so much to learn and many helpful, knowledgeable people.

I too have a BCD396T and love it. Amazing what it can do. I'm listening to the Austin, TX area frequencies right now that I programmed in using ARC396 via the RR downloads. Neat technology.

Chris

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Hi Chris,

Very nice of you to take some time to reply (I do appreciate).

Don't you worry for one second; I spend so much time on a Scanning Forum here in Quebec; I'm used to this type of behavior. I must admit however that this is the very first time someone sends me back to an operating manual so I was slightly surprised - HaHaHa

I've had the BCD396T & BCD996T for quite some time and these are simply wonderful little machine.
I was considering the addition of a GRE PSR-600 but I've been a loyal Uniden customer for over 20 years so there will not be any GRE in my shack.

I am also using ARC396 and ARC996 (and BcTool sometimes - just for fun and programming assistance)

Best to you and 73' from Montreal,

Pierre

Note: maybe I'll catch you on 20 meters one of these days...

Last edited:

jerk

Mr. newsalan,
I understand you are probably a "King" on this forum but with all respects, I am rather familiar with the BCD396T operating manual so I don't understand why you are saying to someone with a fairly legitimate, reasonnable (and first) question to check the manual again.
You asked a question in a public forum. So whether you think you did, you did ask for my opinion and thousands of others reading here that might reply.
Sorry if you don't like my answer.

If you want to hear the input that bad, program it in and listen to it. And sometimes it is not standard spacing. Me I’m thinking why do that? However, each to his own.

And if you don't like the answer you might get... well don't post it where anybody can answer and will!
And no I'm not "king" on here. I’m actually not a Uniden fan as of late. They promise much, but deliver very little. (Firmware/rebanding/sound issues)

Last edited:

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
You asked a question in a public forum. So whether you think you did, you did ask for my opinion and thousands of others reading here that might reply.
And try reading the manual, you might find an answer or two more.

Sorry if you don't like my answer.

And When I answered you, I though here's another clueless ham who wants a scanner to do something a Ham HT does quite well. And it appears to me has not read the manual very closely. Yes, Really!

If you want to hear the input that bad, program it in and listen to it. And sometimes it is not standard spacing. Me I’m thinking why do that? However, each to his own.

And if you don't like the answer... well don't post it where anybody can answer and will!
And no I'm not "king" on here. I’m actually not a Uniden fan as of late. They promise much, but delver very little. (Firmware/rebanding)

Dude chill out...you're not making any friends posting stuff like that! :(
I see an XTS as your avatar. Gives me a lot of insight into you as a person. Don't ask.

N5CWM

Yaesu rocks. END OF RANT

SHEESH..some folks.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I'll ask....

I have an XTS5000 and XTS2500 ...what about it? What does that say about me?

Is there some morality attached to being an EFJ5100 owner? : )

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I'll ask....

Look.."newsalan" made his comment regarding hams. It takes a lot for me to get pissed like this and post my mind on a forum. NJAY has been gone for awhile. It's been that long. Hehehehe...

Nothing general about XTS. I dunno why I posted that!? Matter of fact I anticipate getting one (2500/3000/5000) when I find the right one. So what does that say about me? LOL

I have the EFJs because I happened to get one from a local friend to use on a UHF P25 repeater, and liked it so much I bought a couple of VHF 5100s on EBAY. Great radios. Have yet to own an XTS so can't compare.

Hmmm...I guess I'll just say that XTS is the 'elite' when it comes to <affordable, used> commercial gear.

What else can I type here that will get me scolded? hehehehe

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Everyone re-read post # 7 above.

All I meant to do was welcome a new member to the RR forums. This place is for asking questions
and getting answers. Why is it that I feel like I need to become a LURKER again?

This has definitely turned into a downward spiral.

--------
Disclaimer:

This post is not directed at any RR individually. Please refrain from sending me PMs or rebuttals.

Hahaha (I think..we'll see)

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Wow !!! I would have never imagine that posting a simple question here would initiate such a debate.

You are ALL wonderful people and we all share the same passion.
Consequently I don't understand the need for all this commotion.

But I wish to clarify one thing (in lieu of conclusion):
I am absolutely not just another clueless ham who wants a scanner to do something a Ham HT does quite well. And it appears to me has not read the manual very closely. I started "playing" with scanners over 30 years ago (when having 4-8 cristal frequency was the best thing available). It's only way later that I became a Ham radio operator so before everything else, my first Hobby has always been Scanning.

Thank you so much,

Note: some of you definately really know how to make it a nice place here...

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

That part of the UHF band does not use a standard offset in most cases, unlike the 450-470mhz sections which would usually be 5mhz just like the 440-450 portion.

You secretly want to be rayray :D

Only if its orange, otherwise we'll know they love the big black Johnson :lol:

slicerwizard

Wow !!! I would have never imagine that posting a simple question here would initiate such a debate.
Don't play dumb. It wasn't your question, it was your attitude. You're a newcomer here with a know it all attitude, yet you're apparently not aware that some bands don't have standard splits. Why would you think that a scanner would know the reverse channels in the 160 and 410 bands? Honestly, I would expect a ham to know this stuff.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Don't play dumb. It wasn't your question, it was your attitude. You're a newcomer here with a know it all attitude, yet you're apparently not aware that some bands don't have standard splits. Why would you think that a scanner would know the reverse channels in the 160 and 410 bands? Honestly, I would expect a ham to know this stuff.

I sincerely apologize if my attitude wasn't appropriate (and I mean it);

Yes I am familiar with the standard & non-standard Offsets within the radio Spectrum

I brought up this question for the following reasons:

1) I saw that with BcTool, there was a possibility of changing the duplex file, at first I imagined this was only for display purposes (Radio Control).

2) I have read the manual several times, I knew there was no possible Offset adjustment feature on the radio itself.

3) But then I came accross this line:
Repeater Reverse - You can set the scanner so it switches to the input frequency on a conventional repeater system.

From which someone could come to the conclusion that there might be a potential Offset adjustment for bands (besides Ham Radio)

Consequently I asked this question to validate.

Once again my most sincere apologies if my attitude was not appropriate

bwilborn

I sincerely apologize if my attitude wasn't appropriate (and I mean it)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some people around here seem to get their panties in a twist pretty easily (usually the ones with nothing better to do than rag on a new member). I would just let it roll and move on to the next thing. Welcome to the site!

-- B

Status
Not open for further replies.