BCD396T Screen Locking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

andsmith79

I've had my BCD396T a little over a week and for some strange reason the display keeps freezing/locking up. I can still hear audio, but the display is fozen. All of the buttons continue working as when I press one it makes the normal beeping sound. The only way to restore the screen back to working condition is to power the unit off and back on again using the power button.

I have not tried factory defaulting the unit, but I may this evening. I am using firmware 2.00.07 which I upgraded to the day I bought the scanner.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I had another BCD396T about 6 month ago and had no issue with it locking up during the year or so I had it. I searched the Uniden section of the forum and saw another person reporting the same issue. One member replied telling the person to check their data for any special characters...I used ARC396 to program the scanner...anyone know what 'special characters' I would be looking for???

Thanks!
Andy

Last edited:

n4yek

I remember reading that same message also, I have never had your particular problem and you are only the second person I have seen post this inquiry. I never did see the solution show up on the message board or if they ever resolved the problem. If you don't get any response to this I would go ahead and try the reset and see if that takes care of your problem.
If you do get it going or find the problem, definitely let us know about it.

andsmith79

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I completed a factory reset on the scanner last evening. I'll continue watching it to see if it continues to lockup.

andsmith79

It's been a while since I've posted on this topic and I still occasionally have the lockup issue. I've completed the most recent firmware upgrade so I'll wait to see if the problem comes back. Anyone seeing screen lokup problems? All the key still function and I can hear audio...the screen is just stuck. Still the only way to fix it is to power cycle the scanner. I guess it's about time to send the unit back to Uniden for support... :(

KC8RFE

mine has done this maybe half a dozen times since i've owned it. It's not a big deal it just means i have to turn the scanner off and then back on and it works fine. Must be some software glitch somewhere that causes the freeze. Not a big deal to me.

warrior420

I have had 2 like this fairly recently, never saw this problem with any of the other 396's ive bought over the past couple years. One does it every time after 20+ mins and the other occasionally. The bad one is already back for warranty and the other will go when it comes back. I am hoping they just came from a bad batch of lcd's. I will post the repair info when i get it.

warrior420

Well its been a few weeks now so i called the repair shop in Canada and they are telling me its seems to be from the last firmware update (V2) that caused the screen to lock up?? And now it gives a checksum error when reverting back to stock firmware or anything else. He said they are talking with Uniden to figure it out. I am not so sure about their diagnosis though. I have done 10 to 15 different 396 updates with no problems at all and only the latest two 396's from the same supplier freeze up like this. I wish they would hurry up and replace this under warranty unit or figure out the problem.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I don't know what causes this. I've seen a couple of other people have this, and they've all gone to repair for resolution. Has nothing to do with firmware updates.

DarickT

This has happened to me also. I use the Virtual Control from ARC396. That display did not lock up, but the scanner display was frozen. I thought it was becuase I forgot to shut down the VC before I disconeected it.

kg4jry

Ive had mine less than a month, the display locks up & the display fades in & out , adjusting the contrast doesn't help . goin to send it in for warranty repair.man i'm goin to miss it while its gone

warrior420

Yesterday i updated the other 396 that was doing this from V2 to V3 with no problems at all. Not sure if it fixed the lock up problem but it updated without a chk sum error so im not sure what the hell Lectron is doing with my other radio. I do not want it gone 6 months while they try to blame a hardware problem on something else.

Emil_Sitka

A half dozen times or so, my 396 has frozen with 'charging complete'. The keypad seems to function but the display is stuck. A week ago the display locked up on the normal scanner display screen, but was still functional in every other way.

DrDenny1

I posted this same thing awhile back. The display froze a few times and once the scanner stopped scanning. I did the master reset as mentioned above and the reloaded the scanner and it hasn't haappened since, about 2 months now. I was doing alot of up/down loading at the time of troubles, I still do the up/down load but not as much as when I was 1st programming it. My scanner is at Version 2.00.07, I pretty much updated it 2 or 3 times right away. I have decided to wait on the ver 3 update until the bugs get worked out in the next release. I know there are work arounds for it but my scanner is working fine right now.

Good luck,
Denis

cheld18

Feed Provider
when i installed the 3.0 firmware it was locking up quite a bit. i did a full reset and re-uploaded the firmware and it helped a lot. It has only happened once now that 3.1 is installed.

officer_415

Database Admin
I got mine in June and began to notice this problem soon afterwards. I emailed Uniden about it and they recommended sending it in for service. Has anyone sent theirs in and had the problem resolved?

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
It did it to me when I was testing some of the firmware version's but when I downloaded the lastest version which is 3.0.0.1. It stopped.. So see if u can get that latest version in there : ) Happy Holidays.

cws

It did it to me when I was testing some of the firmware version's but when I downloaded the lastest version which is 3.0.0.1. It stopped.. So see if u can get that latest version in there : ) Happy Holidays.

I just updated mine a few days ago, and the latest version was 3.01.00. Is that 3.0.0.1 a typo?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
UPDATE
For now, reset the scanner by pressing 2+4+9 while powering up to clear the lockup. You might have to reload programming after doing this. We are checking for other issues that might be causing this, so I would not recommend you send a symptomatic scanner to repair at this time if the above will resolve the issue (albeit likely only temporarily).

Status
Not open for further replies.