bcd396t software

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingbrick

I just picked up a uniden. Have been monitoring with a pro96 using win96. Any recommendations on software?? I have been looking into arc396. What else is out there, or is there nothing better than butel?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
flyingbrick said:
I just picked up a uniden. Have been monitoring with a pro96 using win96. Any recommendations on software?? I have been looking into arc396. What else is out there, or is there nothing better than butel?
A lot of people are using the Butel software. However, I'm using Uniden's software, which is free. You should download it & try it. Then, you can still download the Butel software & use it during the demo period & see if you like it better. It does offer import from RadioReference options, not available in the Uniden software.

Also available is AVC396, for logging & recording. This does not offer programming options, just online control, logging, & reording.

flyingbrick

thx

I like the import from rr in win96. Maybe the arc396 will work. I am using the UASD from uniden presently. I will try the avc396 you linked, thanks.

I heard of scancat and thought there was one other program...

For the pro96, I use pro96com for pc control, but the scanner is mute while dumping the control channel, unless using a uniden as a 'speaker'.

wolter

I've been looking over AVC's website. I can only find a beta version of AVC396 available for download. AVC396 has been out for a while. Its still in beta?

RenMan51

396 Uasd

Using the UASD, I set up a system to be loaded but marked as locked out; but, when it loads into the 396, the scanner still scans that system.

What am I doing wrong?

RenMan51

Another problem with UASD

Tried to program in a Motorola Type II system; but, when I plugged in the primary control frequency (408.100), I was told that frequency is "out of range". I looked at the specs for my 396T, and that frequency is covered.

What's up? Is there a freq range for the Motorola system? Or for the UASD?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
RenMan51 said:
Tried to program in a Motorola Type II system; but, when I plugged in the primary control frequency (408.100), I was told that frequency is "out of range". I looked at the specs for my 396T, and that frequency is covered.

What's up? Is there a freq range for the Motorola system? Or for the UASD?
Use system type "Motorola Uhf" instead of "Motorola Type II".

You'll also need to input the base and offset information. From that frequency, I'd say you're trying a federal or military system.

RenMan51

hiegtx said:
Use system type "Motorola Uhf" instead of "Motorola Type II".

You'll also need to input the base and offset information. From that frequency, I'd say you're trying a federal or military system.

Yeah, thanks. I thought I'd listen in to the Federal Detention Center downtown to see what I hear.

That system is marked as a Motorola Type II SmartZone. Are there freq limits on that type of system?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
RenMan51 said:
Yeah, thanks. I thought I'd listen in to the Federal Detention Center downtown to see what I hear.

That system is marked as a Motorola Type II SmartZone. Are there freq limits on that type of system?
Right, it's Moto Type II. But frequencies are in the Uhf range. So use Motorola Uhf as your system type. (There are no Type I's in that band).
You can do control channel only, but you also have to enter the base, spacing, & offset information under the Band Plan tab in Trunk Options.
Base:408.0000 Spacing:12.5 Offset:380

Don't know how far away from it you are. The Seagoville prison here is usually not monitorable from my house. I'm about 15 miles away, but don't have my 396 on an external antenna. The aluminum siding attenuates the already weak signal too much. I can hear them out in my truck if I'm near downtown. That's only slightly closer, but also a little different terrain between me & the site. Suspect they don't run a lot of power, just enough to cover the grounds & a reasonable radius.

brianfoy

wolter said:
I've been looking over AVC's website. I can only find a beta version of AVC396 available for download. AVC396 has been out for a while. Its still in beta?

Yes, but in name only. Both AVC246 and AVC396 essentially 1.0'd and are VERY stable.

Brian.

RenMan51

hiegtx said:
Right, it's Moto Type II. But frequencies are in the Uhf range.
<snip>
Don't know how far away from it you are. The Seagoville prison here is usually not monitorable from my house. I'm about 15 miles away, but don't have my 396 on an external antenna. The aluminum siding attenuates the already weak signal too much. I can hear them out in my truck if I'm near downtown. That's only slightly closer, but also a little different terrain between me & the site. Suspect they don't run a lot of power, just enough to cover the grounds & a reasonable radius.

STARNet is Moto Type II also, and the freqs are UHF (800MHz), but I use normal 'Type II' settings. Don't understand why 400MHz would be different.

I'm 14 miles from downtown, but I've hooked the 396 into my GP15 (at 40ft). Can't find a callsign on the FDC, so don't know what power they're running, but I would think I'd pick up SOMEthing! Then again, they may be like the Toyota Center - only running 5Watts!

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.