bcd396t speaker bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

amsatnetg

Hello all,

I decided to get the 396 exactly one week ago brand new, and yesterday the speaker fried on it after a loud tone from a fire freq. It was only on 7 in volume, and you can imagine my suprise at this. I was able to make the speaker work if i blew air directly on the speaker grill on front. Unfortunately I cannot run around blowing air all the time to hear it, not to mention the headrush i would end up with. I did return to fry's electronics and exchange for a brand new one today. I am willing to give it one more try. I really like the capabilities of the 396, although you would think for nearly 600 clams it would have exceptional parts. Well just fair warning for others considering.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Speaker

amsatnetg said:
Hello all,

I decided to get the 396 exactly one week ago brand new, and yesterday the speaker fried on it after a loud tone from a fire freq. It was only on 7 in volume, and you can imagine my suprise at this. I was able to make the speaker work if i blew air directly on the speaker grill on front. Unfortunately I cannot run around blowing air all the time to hear it, not to mention the headrush i would end up with. I did return to fry's electronics and exchange for a brand new one today. I am willing to give it one more try. I really like the capabilities of the 396, although you would think for nearly 600 clams it would have exceptional parts. Well just fair warning for others considering.

:eek: That's really surprising to me, I have had my 396t scanner for over a year and have the volume at 8 to 9 all the time and have never had a problem, you may of just got a bad speaker to begin with

amsatnetg

Yes I suppose that is the case. I certainly hope that this new one does not stop on me. I never turn it up more than 10 and it was definitely that very high pitch sound that came through on one of the fire or ems channels when the speaker started to sound very scratchy like the cone was damaged, then maybe two hours after that it completely stopped working. I expect that it will be fine on this new one.

BaLa

The Speaker on mine misteriously quit working properly.
By that I mean, it still works (technically) but at the loudest setting I have to hold the scanner to my ear to hear it, even then I can just BARELY hear it.

Headphones/Ex. Speakers work fine though.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
396 speaker

My speaker quit on my 396 about 3 weeks after I got it (July 2005). I also could hear audio only through the headphone jack. I shipped it to Uniden and had it back in about 2 and a half weeks... I haven't had any issues at all since then.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
When I'm traveling to school I have my at 14 sometimes and have never had problems, when I get fire tones. I did have problems one time, like said above it just went away one day, this although I think had to do with the headphone jack some how. I did come back later that day, but havn't had problems since.

XTS3000

Bought my 396T the day they came out, and regulary run it at MAX vol 15 while in the car. No problems 2.5 years of doing that.

I bet the original poster here just got a bad speaker/396T.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
There is a thread on here someplace that tells you how to change the speaker and the part number. If not here, then it is on the yahoo group in the file sec. Foxtail.

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Had to change mine about a week after I bought it (used off Ebay). Been working fine ever since, for a few years now.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I run my 396xt at full volume for around 10 hrs a day. Had it for about a month, and the fire tones are pretty loud here. No distortion so far.

antmsmith

any ideas on a good attenna for my bcd396t i live in ct lot of hills around the stock seems a little weak please pass me on info
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.