BCD396T Speaker Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adams6451

I recently dropped my scanner from around 3 feet, it did not even get a scratch. Too bad this was the 2nd time in 3 years. Every so often there is a strange rattle or vibration in the speaker. If I had to describe it I would say it sounds as if the scanner was lying on its back with a grain of salt on the speaker, bouncing around. The sound has a small distortion. Then again it reminds me of a cracked speaker or one with a tiny tear. Is it common for these speakers to go bad after a couple of years?

adams6451

Again it was not dropped too badly. It seems the speaker has gotten more abuse from loud signals and alerts.

sjlamb

Again it was not dropped too badly. It seems the speaker has gotten more abuse from loud signals and alerts.

The 396T has a well documented history for speakers going bad. Typically though... it has been reported that they completely stop working as opposed to the distortion you describe.

adams6451

I May open it up and pull out the speaker. A piece of material could have made it in the speaker area and is causing the problem. I noticed last night it sometimes quit. I turned it up to 15 just now and it is almost like a small fiber or wire is against the speaker cone during transmission. Just a weird effect that may could be fixed.

shawnie

bc scanner audio quite

my bc145xl uniden scanner has now went completely silent no sound it still scans yesterday i turned it on and the ext sp hole in the back started smoking does anyone know wht the problem could be and how i can fix it

sjlamb

my bc145xl uniden scanner has now went completely silent no sound it still scans yesterday i turned it on and the ext sp hole in the back started smoking does anyone know wht the problem could be and how i can fix it

Given that you've hijacked the OP's thread... I'll just say that it sounds as if the audio IC has blown. Does it still receive (as in, stops scanning when a signal is being received)?? For further advice, I would suggest you start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.