BCD396T vs. BC296D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgunderson

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2003
Messages
1
Location
Woodbury, MN
I own a BC296D currently. I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. This whole area is going APCO 25 soon and the State Patrol already is. I am somewhat disappointed in the sound quality of the digital on the 296, but otherwise it seems to work well.

I am wondering if I should be considering the 396. I am not concerned with the cost, just whether it will be a better scanner that the 296, particularly on the digital side. The county/area I live in is still analog and will be for the next 12-18 months.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.
 

CrewRest

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 13, 2001
Messages
98
Location
Sarasota FL
My Opinion!

The 396T is a super scanner, size, features, etc.

BUT

If it is just the sound quality that is the issue, it might not be all that different. my 396 is better than my 250d but neither is as good as the pro-96. (I do not like the user unfriendleness of the Pro-96, of course maybe I'm the problem!)

Doug Anderson
KG4QCR
 

timjude

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
299
Location
In the pines where the sun never shines
CrewRest said:
My Opinion!

The 396T is a super scanner, size, features, etc.

BUT

If it is just the sound quality that is the issue, it might not be all that different. my 396 is better than my 250d but neither is as good as the pro-96. (I do not like the user unfriendleness of the Pro-96, of course maybe I'm the problem!)

Doug Anderson
KG4QCR
I totally agree,my friend owns a 396t i own a pro 96 and this may be hard for some to swollow but around here the ksp is apco 25 conv..400mhz range and the pro 96 sitting beside the 396t...The pro 96 will recieve and decode ksp while the 396 never even stops on a freq...now this is both units with stock antenna kinda made him sick at his stomache...and after spending 560.00 i would be sick as well and i am kinda sick after purchasing 2 996t's that aren't as good as my 2096 so i know how he feels..
 

yaesumofo

Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2003
Messages
314
Location
los Angeles
The 396 is by and large the best hand held scanner (feature wise) available in the world today.
The audio itself could be better.
If you want to own the most sophisticated hand held then this is the one.
There is so much going on with the 396 radio it is crazy.
The 396 is a major step forward from the 296.
If you are looking to own a radio that will do most anything one could need in a scanner (no side band or HF) the 396 will work great.
Go buy one. If you do not like it sell it. If apco 25 audio quality is your primary criteria you may wish to consider the RS Pro 96.
If you want an all around amazing radio buy the 396.
Yaesumofo


Eric gunderson said:
I own a BC296D currently. I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. This whole area is going APCO 25 soon and the State Patrol already is. I am somewhat disappointed in the sound quality of the digital on the 296, but otherwise it seems to work well.

I am wondering if I should be considering the 396. I am not concerned with the cost, just whether it will be a better scanner that the 296, particularly on the digital side. The county/area I live in is still analog and will be for the next 12-18 months.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.
 

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
6,514
Location
West Michigan
The BC296D is a great Mil-air radio and standby quasi-base scanner, but it's a brick with an antiquated battery pack.

So many more improved options on the 396, you can't go wrong.
 

timjude

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
299
Location
In the pines where the sun never shines
Well i guess in my area the pro 96 is best for me because all those features won't do me any good if i can't hear what i want to listen to...mostly the ky state police,it may perform ok with an outside antenna never tried that,but with a stock rubber duck antenna the 96 blew it's tailfeathers out,is it possible that the antenna that comes with the 396 is not as good as the pro 96?could that be the problem...
 

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
6,514
Location
West Michigan
timjude said:
Well i guess in my area the pro 96 is best for me because all those features won't do me any good if i can't hear what i want to listen to...mostly the ky state police,it may perform ok with an outside antenna never tried that,but with a stock rubber duck antenna the 96 blew it's tailfeathers out,is it possible that the antenna that comes with the 396 is not as good as the pro 96?could that be the problem...
Your PRO-96 may have better ears than a 396, but I wouldn't judge the radio performance by the stock antenna. I can't see buying a ~$500 radio and use the stock antenna. i'd try an antenna tuned for the bands you are interested in, MHO.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top