BCD396XT, BCD436HP or HomePatrol 2 for New Hampshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

pknipper

I'm completely new to scanners but do understand the basics.

Portability is my number one goal so narrowing down to the three units above. My drive is mostly within NH and sometimes venture out to Maine & Mass but not often. Looking at the database APCO 25 Phase II is not something I need to worry about (700 MHz?) in this area?

The main reason why I'd go with the 396XT is the current price. The other two of course from what I read it the easier setup with frequencies. Now I understand there's some learning curve with the 396XT. I'm not looking to program 100+ channels either. Mainly fire and police in the area and no more than dozen frequencies of each.

Not a necessity but will likely purchase an external antenna for use in the car. GPS? Are these built into these units or do I need to shell out another $100?

Thank you for any input I could get :)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I really like my 396XT, except when I'm listening to a simulcast system. There are issues with simulcast distortion - either no audio or garbled audio in some (but not all) locations.

I have used an external antenna on trips and it improves reception. Also used a GPS device to turn "things" on and off as I approach/leave an area, which is very handy. Unfortunately they are not built in, so you'd have to buy one. Just be sure whatever you get does NEMA compliant data output. None of the models you mention have built-in GPS.

pknipper

I really like my 396XT, except when I'm listening to a simulcast system. There are issues with simulcast distortion - either no audio or garbled audio in some (but not all) locations.

I have used an external antenna on trips and it improves reception. Also used a GPS device to turn "things" on and off as I approach/leave an area, which is very handy. Unfortunately they are not built in, so you'd have to buy one. Just be sure whatever you get does NEMA compliant data output. None of the models you mention have built-in GPS.

Thanks; the GPS does sound very convenient. I'll look more into the 396XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.