BCD396XT/BCD996XT - Feature Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitedata

Perhaps I am not posting this in the correct forum area but i could not see a specific area of the forums to post my "wishful" feature request.
I would ask the Engineers at Uniden, to please add adjustment features that should be available and accessible on both the BCD396XT & BCD996XT with future firmware.
Threshold, Time Out and Wait Time adjustments.
To be more specific, the older RS/GRE Pro 106/PSR 500 have these adjustments under "Expert Settings", the 396XT/996XT should have them as well.
Having the ability to adjust these settings would greatly improve the enjoyment and usability of these models.
I would hope that I am not the only one who desires these adjustment abilities.
To get an idea of what settings would be very useful, have a look at the various adjustment settings in this PDF:2000106_GM_EN.pdf

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps I am not posting this in the correct forum area but i could not see a specific area of the forums to post my "wishful" feature request.
I would ask the Engineers at Uniden, to please add adjustment features that should be available and accessible on both the BCD396XT & BCD996XT with future firmware.
Threshold, Time Out and Wait Time adjustments.
To be more specific, the older RS/GRE Pro 106/PSR 500 have these adjustments under "Expert Settings", the 396XT/996XT should have them as well.
Having the ability to adjust these settings would greatly improve the enjoyment and usability of these models.
I would hope that I am not the only one who desires these adjustment abilities.
To get an idea of what settings would be very useful, have a look at the various adjustment settings in this PDF:
2000106_GM_EN.pdf

As far as the settings, check here.... scroll down to the paragraph that starts with "v1.06.00":

BCD996XTFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

As far as where to post "wishfull" feature requests, check this forum here:

Uniden Future Designs - The RadioReference.com Forums

elitedata

As far as the settings, check here.... scroll down to the paragraph that starts with "v1.06.00":

BCD996XTFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

As far as where to post "wishfull" feature requests, check this forum here:

Uniden Future Designs - The RadioReference.com Forums

I am aware of the extra settings for P25.
I am asking for some additional settings that should be available for adjustment.
One common complaint is that the squelch does not close upon an end code on a conventional simplex transmission using CTCSS, you hear the squelch tail instead.
there is an adjustment for this, no one can access it though.
I posted here, in this forum, because this really should not be considered a "Future Design" when a simple modification to the firmware should make these adjustments readily available to the user.

elitedata

Check this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...36hp-bcd536hp-firmware-upgrade-wish-list.html

It's in the future designs forum linked to above.

The models i am speaking about are BCD396XT & BCD996XT.
Its much easier to "enable" access to these adjustments through firmware change as was done to enable access to P25 Adjust Mode & P25 Adjust Level on both these models.
I'm not asking for a lot, just the ability to make adjustments.
You can make these adjustments on the older RS/GRE Pro 106/PSR 500, why are they not accessible for adjustment on the more expensive BCD396XT & BCD996XT ?
For one thing, i am very confident these adjustments exist and can be accessed but currently not through the user keypad.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I had the opportunity to speak with Upman while he was in Louisville for a recent trade show. I asked him whether future firmware updates for the 96XT scanners were possible.

He said they'll continue supporting these products, but their main priority (as it should be) will be on the new models.

My thinking is we shouldn't rule out 96XT firmare updates, though I doubt we'll see major changes (as in adding a basement to a house already built).

elitedata

I had the opportunity to speak with Upman while he was in Louisville for a recent trade show. I asked him whether future firmware updates for the 96XT scanners were possible.

He said they'll continue supporting these products, but their main priority (as it should be) will be on the new models.

My thinking is we shouldn't rule out 96XT firmare updates, though I doubt we'll see major changes (as in adding a basement to a house already built).
a basement generally has access to expert functions and settings for the proper operation and calibration of equipment within the house.
what i am asking for is the same type of advanced/expert settings the older RS/GRE Pro 106/PSR 500 have (see the attached PDF in my first post) that the 396XT/996XT do not have.
it is not that difficult to add these settings to the radios as was done with the P25 adjustments with the latest firmware versions.
i have already managed to get my hands on the *actual* firmware for the 396XT/996XT and the data appears to be formatted possibly as KERMIT communication protocol that is saved to a file (BCD996XT_V1_07_03.scn & BCD396XT_V1_11_01.scn)
i consider the 396XT/996XT "top of the line" products that should generally have access to advanced/expert settings for those of us who understand their functions.
when you purchase an expensive "top of the line" UHD display, one would expect expert/advanced adjustments to be included with the user settings.

lep

when you purchase an expensive "top of the line" UHD display said:
So, when your purchased your 396/996XT line of scanners you were mislead into thinking that these adjustments you are now seeking were already included? When did you buy these two scanners?
IMHOP these are no longer the "top of the line."

elitedata

So, when your purchased your 396/996XT line of scanners you were mislead into thinking that these adjustments you are now seeking were already included? When did you buy these two scanners?
IMHOP these are no longer the "top of the line."
i dont feel i was "misled".
i was expecting a little more than 2 "hidden" P25 adjustments.
sure i could have done research and discovered that both models do not have any extra settings but i like the radios none the less.
i surely am not the only individual that has a minor issue with not being able to adjust settings as described in the attached PDF file from my first post (no one seems to pay attention to what i am talking about)
your opinion is respected as to what you would define "top of the line" but IMHO, any scanner over $300 retail should have extra/advanced/expert settings and the RS/GRE Pro 106/PSR 500 have these adjustments under "Expert Settings" but neither do the 396XT/996XT.
i'll just stick to examining the firmware until i come up with my own way to modify the adjustments within the firmware itself.
its pretty clear the firmware is not encrypted so it should be relatively easy to figure out within some time.
i regret starting this thread since my only reason was from reading other posts within the uniden forums from other owners who had issues such as the squelch not closing (leaves squelch tail) with CTCSS end code, this could be easily remedied with adjustments such as:
"Length of time to wait for a CTCSS signal"
"Interval of time to check for a CTCSS signal"
"Length of time to wait after losing a CTCSS signal"
"Length of time to detect a CTCSS end of signal turn off code command"
"Length of time to mute a signal after an end of signal turn off code command" (this is the adjustment)
these settings exist in the radio but are not accessible by the end user, they are "preset" by the software developer at uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.