BCD396XT / BCD996XT Firmware Update Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody have improvements decoding CQPSK/LSM on 9600 systems...?

Jacob

Testing that now here in Michigan; so far, so good... It does sound slightly better; but I'll have to spend more time during busier hours of radio traffic. With the impending storm tonight, the shouldn't be too hard...

By the way, both installs went through no problem (BCD396XT/BCD996XT).

ak4fn

Update

I just went to a different computer that has never had any Uniden software installed on it.

I installed the USB to Serial DB9 drivers ...OK
I downloaded BC_VUP Firmware Loader and the new firmware file.
Got the exact same results...Error when trying to install.

Now i am really stumped.

Make sure to unzip the file and that you are using the correct comport:

mjbcomp

Thanks for the above post however it still doesn't work.

The only thing that is different is the Baud Rate of the COM port in Device Manager defaults to 9600 where the BC_VUP program defaults to 115200. The BC_VUP program will not go down to 9600.

I've tried leaving the COM port at 9600, i've tried 115200. Nothing makes a difference.

I still go back to my original assumption. I can communicate with my scanner using FREESCAN with no problems at all which tells me my COM port is working fine at 9600 and my cable is working fine.

When i being the installation it says 'Communicating....', then switches to 'Erasing...' then errors out.

That indicates to me that it recognizes the scanner but it won't Erase then Upload the new .scn file.

I've tried downloading the .scn file multiple times. I don't know if the .scn file is corrupt during download or there is another issue. I can't believe that i have 2 separate computers exhibiting the exact same problem.

I am a software developer so i am trained to deal with these types of issues which make me think there is a problem with the software. However, since there are users who have already downloaded and installed the update with no issues it still leaves me scratching my head.

W6KRU

The only thing that is different is the Baud Rate of the COM port in Device Manager defaults to 9600 where the BC_VUP program defaults to 115200. The BC_VUP program will not go down to 9600.

I've tried leaving the COM port at 9600, i've tried 115200. Nothing makes a difference.

I still go back to my original assumption. I can communicate with my scanner using FREESCAN with no problems at all which tells me my COM port is working fine at 9600 and my cable is working fine.

When i being the installation it says 'Communicating....', then switches to 'Erasing...' then errors out.

That indicates to me that it recognizes the scanner but it won't Erase then Upload the new .scn file.

I've tried downloading the .scn file multiple times. I don't know if the .scn file is corrupt during download or there is another issue. I can't believe that i have 2 separate computers exhibiting the exact same problem.

I am a software developer so i am trained to deal with these types of issues which make me think there is a problem with the software. However, since there are users who have already downloaded and installed the update with no issues it still leaves me scratching my head.

When you set the com port to115200, Does freescan work at 115200? I use115200 for everything and I don't have any issues.

Tryton

their web site is slammed.. I have the files is you want them, send me a pm Wise871 ** I only have the firmware for the 996XT not the 396Xt **

Last edited:

W6KRU

Did update went all right when I moved the file unless I have a wrong setting thier is no change

Did you follow the procedure on the download page?

To adjust the decode threshold, start with the scanner powered off. Then, follow these steps:

While holding down the HOLD button, power on the scanner.
Access the hidden P25 Adjust Mode menu by MENU --> Settings --> P25 Adjust Mode.
Set the mode to 11, which is the optimal setting for most P25 systems.
If you have previously adjusted the P25 Adjust Level, reset it to a value of 50 by MENU --> Settings --> P25 Adjust Level.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

One thing that I've seen more than once was the Win 7 built in firewall was blocking something even on a serial connection.
Once I turned the firewall off, my upgrade went fine.

Just make sure you are behind a nat router or better yet, unplug the ethernet cable before you kill the firewall.
Granted, I did the 396 and 996XT upgrades just fine today without killing the firewall. I've not needed to kill the firewall in Win 7 since it was about one or two months old either.

That one was an odd one and why the firewall had an effect on the serial port comms is beyond me but it did is all I know. I clearly recall things starting to work and then quit half way through like you seem to be seeing so you may want to try that and rule it out as a possible cause.

mjbcomp

When you set the com port to115200, Does freescan work at 115200? I use115200 for everything and I don't have any issues.

DDan,

When i go into Device Manager and change the Baud Rate of the COM port to either 9600 or 115200 i can access my scanner with FREESCAN with no problems.

Highpockets

DDan,

When i go into Device Manager and change the Baud Rate of the COM port to either 9600 or 115200 i can access my scanner with FREESCAN with no problems.

I think your updating the 396XT, are you following the directions, taking out the batteries, holding the two keys and plugging in the AC adapter like the directions tell you? I'm sure you are I'm just checking... :)

mjbcomp

One thing that I've seen more than once was the Win 7 built in firewall was blocking something even on a serial connection.
Once I turned the firewall off, my upgrade went fine.

Just make sure you are behind a nat router or better yet, unplug the ethernet cable before you kill the firewall.
Granted, I did the 396 and 996XT upgrades just fine today without killing the firewall. I've not needed to kill the firewall in Win 7 since it was about one or two months old either.

That one was an odd one and why the firewall had an effect on the serial port comms is beyond me but it did is all I know. I clearly recall things starting to work and then quit half way through like you seem to be seeing so you may want to try that and rule it out as a possible cause.

This did not work either. I was hopeful. I even tried to boot into SAFE MODE but the BC_VUP application doesn't recognize the COM ports in SAFE MODE.

mjbcomp

I think your updating the 396XT, are you following the directions, taking out the batteries, holding the two keys and plugging in the AC adapter like the directions tell you? I'm sure you are I'm just checking... :)

Yes i am TRYING to update the 396XT.

i don't have the batteries installed. I hold the L/O key and the 6 key then plug the A/C adapter in. The backlight turns BLUE but there is no text on the screen.

Then i start the install process but it fails every time.

ak4fn

mjbcomp

You are not trying to use the rear port of the scanner are you?

from this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/160896-bcd996xt-rear-port.html

I have the 396XT not the 996.

One other thing that may or may not be important...

I am using the Prolific USB-to-Serial Cable in Windows 7 Pro. The driver version of the COM 3 port is 3.3.0.1 (1/31/2008)

Wondering if anyone else is using this same driver. I can't find a newer driver online. But again this driver works communicating with my scanner in FREESCAN with no problems.

ak4fn

I have the 396XT not the 996.

One other thing that may or may not be important...

I am using the Prolific USB-to-Serial Cable in Windows 7 Pro. The driver version of the COM 3 port is 3.3.0.1 (1/31/2008)

Wondering if anyone else is using this same driver. I can't find a newer driver online. But again this driver works communicating with my scanner in FREESCAN with no problems.
Sorry, somehow I didn't notice that you said that you had 396XT.

The driver page for prolific: Welcome to Prolific but like you say it works in freescan, I doubt that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.