BCD396XT cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xray

Have had no updates since 2011, I pretty much use the scanner for airshows but lately have been picking up interest in LE so I need to update.
Does the original cable have a 4 pin on the scanner side and serial on the other end, or USB ?

I have a spaghettis nest of cables and I found one that fit the scanner with a USB on the other end, but its not recognized so I'm guessing its not the right cable.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
396xt cable

There is a USB cable available, but the radio end is a type of connector not available at a normal retail store. Your best bet is to order one from one of the recognized dealers such as Scanner Master. As far as a standard com cable, I believe that was the original type supplied, but since few if any (except home built) computers have a serial port, it is of no use to most users.

Xray

No, the thing is is I have the cable somewhere, I have programmed my airshow freqs with it years ago, I have dozens if not 100's of cables and just wondering if it has a serial end to narrow down my search

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It has the serial RS 232 cable (9 pin female).

If you need a picture, you could download one of the Uniden x96 manuals and you'll find a picture of it in the manual. (I just looked at the BCD996T manual and it is on page 30).

JamesO

No, the thing is is I have the cable somewhere, I have programmed my airshow freqs with it years ago, I have dozens if not 100's of cables and just wondering if it has a serial end to narrow down my search

Yes, the original cable that came with the scanner was a DB9 on the computer end.

Most folks buy the USB-1 cable to eliminate the need for a computer with a serial port.

dkf435

The Uniden serial cable is straight through, the USB cable has a plastic case with circuit board in the middle.

If you have a cable with a USB connector on one end and radio on other that is STRAIGHT through with no circuit board it will probably be a USB camera cable

David Kb7uns

Xray

No, I do have one that fits with a protrusion in the middle, that must be it but freescan is not seeing the scanner ... Does the scanner go into a holding mode when plugged in correctly ? It just keeps scanning while plugged in.
I must have the serial one laying around somewhere too, and I do have a puter with a serial port

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The PC recognizes the cable, not the scanner. When you plug it into the PC (before connecting to the scanner), a COM port should show up in device manager. If it does not, then you need to track down that problem.

The scanner does not change mode when the cable is plugged in.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Does the scanner go into a holding mode when plugged in correctly ? It just keeps scanning while plugged in.

The scanner continues to scan with the cable plugged into your 396XT. When a read/write operation is in progress, you'll see something like (and I'm going from memory), "Remote Keypad Lock". Upon completion of that operation, the scanner resumes scanning.

Xray

Does this look like the right cable ??
It makes a dinging sound when plugged in signifying it is recognized, but freescan sure can't see it.
Failed both on laptop and desktop.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 133
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 127
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 123

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hard to tell for sure from that pic, but looks like the USB-1 Uniden cable.

Look in Windows Device manager and see if it has registered properly as a COM port, and it should tell you which port it is using.

Xray

desktop is xp laptop I think 8.1 maybe ?

Got it to work with desktop apparently, was on the wrong port. [Says my subscription expires in JAN 2015, odd since I just signed up last week]
Laptop which I'd rather work from it shows up with a problem arrow, installed drivers and rebooted but still the problem arrow.
Now I'm going to see if I can update the firmware

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
desktop is xp laptop I think 8.1 maybe ?

Got it to work with desktop apparently, was on the wrong port. [Says my subscription expires in JAN 2015, odd since I just signed up last week]
Laptop which I'd rather work from it shows up with a problem arrow, installed drivers and rebooted but still the problem arrow.
Now I'm going to see if I can update the firmware

Your subscription seems to be recognized as a 6 mo subscription, which is one of their options. If you paid for a year, I'd suggest you contact them.

Xray

Got it updated, now to figure out how to get rid of all the services I don't want like sewage dept ect, I think I dl'ed too much

Status
Not open for further replies.