BCD396XT: Can I download from RadioReference w/ Ubuntu or Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk24

Premium Subscriber
Is Widows the only way to download/program my Uniden BCD396XT? Will Linux or Ubuntu work? Thanks for any help. Peace!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unless you can install a Windoze program in a Windoze environment under Linux or Ubuntu, the answer is no.

Break down and buy an el-cheapo desktop, load it up with memory, and use FreeScan (it's freeware) - good place to start...Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
BCD396xt and Linux

I have a fair amount of experience with Linux, and so far absolutely no success with downloading from RR, let alone getting it to the scanner. My last attempt was stopped because I couldn't any driver for the USB cable to work under Wine.

jfhtm350

I have a fair amount of experience with Linux, and so far absolutely no success with downloading from RR, let alone getting it to the scanner. My last attempt was stopped because I couldn't any driver for the USB cable to work under Wine.

I have been doing some research on Ubuntu lately and other operating systems and what you said is exactly what I was thinking.

nanZor

I've successfully used BCProgTool with my 396XT directly in Debian, Ubuntu, and Knoppix. Be SURE to read the "readme_first_linux.txt", as you'll need to add a user account for the program, and a few other details. You may need to apt-get ver 8.5 of TCL/TK as well. Most modern systems will already support the FTDI and Prolific serial chipsets, although you may have to manually install those for older distributions possibly.

BCProgTool.tcl TCL/TK Tool

It worked for me, but only after doing the steps in the readme file. I only programmed manually, and never tried the automatic system downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Except that I believe BcProgTool doesn't allow access to the web service....I've yet to see any non-Windoze package that can do that. Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.