BCD396xt Freescan USB COM port issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDDOLLAR

I have a BCD396xt that i was going to do some spring cleaning of frequencies, thought I could run the software on my chromebook, no luck, so I bought a windows 10 laptop used to do radio programming. I am having issues getting it to read the scanner, even with auto detect the com ports. I don't show com ports in my device manager. Do the newer scanners play nicer with Windows 10? I was thinking of replacing the 396 anyway, but want to be able to update firmware on the new one.

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

Randy_Vick

Premium Subscriber
If you're using the "older" data cable, you'll need to use an older Prolific driver in Windows 10. Search the forums for details on locating and installing.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Get the correct driver for your cable and install. If it doesnt work, you can try forcing windows 10 to accept unsigned drivers.

It may not work still as I had using the supplied serial cable and a prior serial-usb converter cable through a few updates of windows 10. Either my old serial-usb converter stopped working or it wasnt supported. I had it from ~windows 98 till last year hehe.
I had to buy a newer cable with newer supported chipset, worked immediately and still does on windows 1909 with all latests updates. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758B6MK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Randy_Vick

Premium Subscriber
PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.12.0 is the file name. Even zipped it is too large to attach here. Prolific doesn't permit linking to files.

Status
Not open for further replies.