BCD396XT Help.. Desperately!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalmediasvcs

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I am new to scanners (well, not since the 1980's, when you had to buy fixed crystals...) and I have the Uniden BCD-396XT. I am STRUGGLING trying to figure out how to program this thing, I can get to the TGID input, but anything I add in Decimal is Invalid for the Trunk ID. Can anyone help me in simple terms for an old guy? What am I missing (other than a little kid who can probably do this in his sleep)?

SteveHamn

Hey what a coincidence I just got my BCD396XT in the mail and went through the process of programming it for LA.

First of all you’re going to want to program it from your computer, and if you don’t have a serial port on your computer (most modern computers don’t) you’ll need to buy a serial-to-usb cable ($10-$20). These are all over the place, Fry’s has em Best Buy should have them or you can get them online. You’ll probably have to install the drivers before you get started but then you’re good to go. Heres an example: Newegg.com - BYTECC 6 FT USB to DB9 Serial Adapter, provides the connection between USB and RS-232 port Model BT-DB925

Next go download and install FreeScan, there are links all over the place or just google it. This will make programming your scanner a breeze.

Next get a premium account at RadioReference ($15). RadioReference integrates with FreeScan so in FreeScan you enter your RR account info and it allows you to select your area and the agencies/businesses in the area and download all the relevant channels, and then upload to your scanner.
Within an hour of opening my box I had downloaded all of LA County and was scanning through it (Something people will charge >$70 to do). Of course, to anyone who knows anything about scanning (not me), that’s not very useful because it takes forever to scan through and you get a lot of crap. Freescan and RR allows you to download specific things and setup your Systems/Groups/Channels (for example all the stuff LAX), and then you can delete what you don’t need in freescan. (For example, I downloaded all the LAX stuff but then deleted all the stupid rental cars/shuttle services/ATIS junk)

If your cheap and don’t want to use the computer to download. You can just look at the free RadioReference database and manually enter channels.

I’m still new to the BCD396XT and scanning in general, there’s probably a lot more you can do with this thing, but that’s my quick and dirty way of getting started.

digitalmediasvcs

Premium Subscriber
Awesome help!!!

Ok, this is now something that gives me hope!

I can get the USB adapter and so on easy, and I have NO problem splurging for the $15. And the other website with the instructions.. OMG, that guy is brilliant!

Thanks, everyone! I'll keep you guys posted on progress!

digitalmediasvcs

Premium Subscriber
Success! Well, sorta'...

Ok, I followed the advice here and found it most helpful. Thank you guys so much!

I can program now, and have played with several configurations. I have found that it is way too easy to overload myself with channels and data, and some of the trunks/ TGID's are not "deletable" from the radioreference.com download, which is frustrating. I know which talkgroups I want, but I seem to be stuck having to grab a whole bunch, rather than just the one or two I need.

Oh, and I found out something incredibly important for all of us who are using the USB cable:

bctool+ will NOT function with the USB cable, it requires the DB-9 hook-up. Since I haven't had a PC with a serial port in about 2 years, Freescan looks like it is the only ticket, Freescan is a great product, but I wish it has some of the features of bctool+.

Oh, and a friend of mine showed me the Uniden programming software for his BCD-396-T. SHAME on Uniden for not providing a version for us upgraded buyers!

Status
Not open for further replies.