BCD396XT-Help with deactivating start up configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
For some strange reason my BCD396XT has a start up configuration for key 6 and I need to know how to disable this configuration. I've had the scanner for about 6 months or so and I've never created a start up configuration, especially since I'm the only person that uses or has access to the scanner, I have no clue how this configuration came about. I've searched the Wiki, emailed Uniden and checked the various on-line manuals.

I can find out how to set it up, but I cannot find out how to deactivate/turn it off.

Any assistance would be most welcomed.

Thanks,

Bob

Premium Subscriber
Bob,
What do you mean by 'a start up configuration for key 6'? What is it doing and are you using any particular software?
dave

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Bob,
To use the Start up Key feature you have to be holding down one of the number keys (6 in your case) while pressing the Power button.

So either you are holding down 6 everytime you turn on the radio or you are not using the Startup key feature.

The feature is described in detail on Uniden's website.

And you can change or disable the startup key feature either through the radio itself or via 3rd party software.

Marshall KE4ZNR

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
Start up config

I'm not holding down any key. When I power the unit, it does the everything on its own.

I've never programmed any sort of start up configuration since I've had the unit. This start up message just started out of the blue, and I have no idea where it came from. The message states that it's using Key 6 for my start up configuration. Key 6 had some Alameda County conventional freqs, with no start up key only a quick key assign and it's been like that since December.

I tried to reset the memory to get rid of the message and now the unit won't let me program any conventional channels using the key pad.

It's going back to Uniden tomorrow. I think my unit's either haunted or I was able to program something while I was asleep.

I'll keep you posted on what the repair people tell me.

I like the unit and this is the first bit of trouble I've ever had. I've had it since mid December of last year.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
IMHO sending it back to Uniden is a waste of money because
this sounds like a programming issue that can be resolved
with proper reprogramming.
If you would like to email me your Freescan file I can take
a look at it.
Marshall KE4ZNR

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
Start up config

There are no files on the scanner. When I did a memory reset, the files cleared out but the memory did not. It contains some empty system files that I cannot reprogram because the key pad will not function correctly.

Thanks,

Bob

IMHO sending it back to Uniden is a waste of money because
this sounds like a programming issue that can be resolved
with proper reprogramming.
If you would like to email me your Freescan file I can take
a look at it.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ok, since we don't have any systems stored in the radio you should
be able to do this:

Press and hold 2,9, and Hold, power on the scanner to re-initialize the Memory

What happens when you do the above? It should set everything back to it's factory state.

Marshall KE4ZNR

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
Marshall,

It loads system files on channels 1 through 5. They're called Scan Test. The memory does not clear and that's why I want to send it back.

Make sense?

Thanks,

Bob

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
That is weird. It should load the following:

BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki

When it askes you "do you wish to restore the preloaded systems?" what did you select?

The preloaded system list for the BCD396XT:
SQK System

• 21 Alaska ALMR
  • 22 Arkansas AWIN
  • 23 Colorado DTRS
  • 24 Connecticut State
  • 25 Delaware
  • 26 Georgia GEWIN
  • 27 Idaho IIMARS
  • 28 Ill StarCom21
  • 29 Indiana SAFE-T
  • 30 Kansas KSICS
  • 31 Louisiana LATIE
  • 32 Mass State Sys
  • 33 Michigan MPSCS
  • 34 Mississippi MWIN
  • 35 Montana StateSys
  • 36 NC VIPER
  • 37 Nevada SRS
  • 38 Ohio MARCS
  • 39 Rhode Isl RISCON
  • 40 SC Palmetto 800
  • 41 SDakotaState
  • 42 TX DPS
  • 43 Utah UCAN
  • 44 Virginia STARS
  • 45 WVirginia WVIRP
  • 46 WyoLink

The above systems are stored into part of the memory structure that can't be overwritten so they should be as they are listed above.

Marshall KE4ZNR

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
I don't get that option. It just loads these Scan Test Files. I don't see the original configuration information at all.

Strange?

cpuerror

How are you resetting the scanner? Depending on the key combo you use, it will load different files on. I think you are using the factory test combo, hence those unusual systems.

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
How are you resetting the scanner? Depending on the key combo you use, it will load different files on. I think you are using the factory test combo, hence those unusual systems.

I'm using the 2, 9, HOLD + power and I don't think I should get these test files and not the scanner default.

Thanks,

Bob

tvande

The complete reference for the BCD396XT says:

Press and hold [2 / sr 2], [9 / mod] and [Hold / ] and turn on the scanner to initialize the Memory and
be able to restore the Preprogram list.

What DO you have as "systems" in the scanner if you don't get the list of initial systems that comes with the scanner?

Tom

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
I simply get the Scan Test Files on channels 1 through 5 and they contain no data and I'm unable to program any conventional frequencies because the key pad is disabled. I can load files from the d-base and they work correctly. I'm just not able to lock any channels out because of this phantom start up configuration. The unit's not going back to default. I shipped it back to Uniden yesterday and I will update everyone once they give me a determination as to why/how the system config began on its own without me selecting a start up key when I programmed the scanner; which I've never done.

Thanks,

Bob

FmrNYkr

Premium Subscriber
The complete reference for the BCD396XT says:

Press and hold [2 / sr 2], [9 / mod] and [Hold / ] and turn on the scanner to initialize the Memory and
be able to restore the Preprogram list.

What DO you have as "systems" in the scanner if you don't get the list of initial systems that comes with the scanner?

Tom

I simply get the Scan Test Files on channels 1 through 5 and they contain no data and I'm unable to program any conventional frequencies because the key pad is disabled. I can load files from the d-base and they work correctly. I'm just not able to lock any channels out because of this phantom start up configuration. The unit's not going back to default. I shipped it back to Uniden yesterday and I will update everyone once they give me a determination as to why/how the system config began on its own without me selecting a start up key when I programmed the scanner; which I've never done.

Thanks,

Bob

tvande

Thanks,

Bob

And there are no systems? Sounds like maybe a "test unit" slipped out of Uniden or something. It will be interesting to see what they say on the "repair invoice" or whatever they call it, IF they tell you anything. <g>

Tom

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From the description, it sounds like the keypad has stuck keys (electrically if not mechanically).

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
And there are no systems? Sounds like maybe a "test unit" slipped out of Uniden or something. It will be interesting to see what they say on the "repair invoice" or whatever they call it, IF they tell you anything. <g>

Tom

"Test Units" are not configured that way.
So it is not a test unit.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.