BCD396xt Help with decision Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron67

I am very close to buying the BCD396xt but I was wondering if I could have a bit of input from some owners concering the sound quality, the eaze of programing w/PC, perprogramed systems? recipion quality. I live in North Kansas City and I have been spoiled by my HP-1 not having to program it,Is bct396xt similer to the operation of the 346xt witch I am familiar with.

Thank You for any help.
Ron

396xt

Unless for some reason you personally like the handheld version, I would go with the 996, Very easy to program. I do not like the HP-1's cuz then I can't control what I want to listen to. We do all of our own programming using Free Scan.

OCO

Unless for some reason you personally like the handheld version, I would go with the 996, Very easy to program. I do not like the HP-1's cuz then I can't control what I want to listen to. We do all of our own programming using Free Scan.
Can't control what I listen to on an HP1? Huh - coulda fooled me.... Sounds like an opinion not supported by knowledge of the product...:wink:

ron67

Great success with HP-1

Can't control what I listen to on an HP1? Huh - coulda fooled me.... Sounds like an opinion not supported by knowledge of the product...:wink:

I have had no problems with pin pointing what I wanted to listen too with the HP-1 in fact I wish I could get it in the Hand Held, thats why I was asking for some advice on the d396xt I know it will not be as Top Noctch as my HP-1, but need to add a very good digital HH to my Toys

Thanks
Ron

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Is bct396xt similer to the operation of the 346xt witch I am familiar with.

The 396XT is pretty much the same scanner as the 346XT (with a few more features and more memory). The keypad layout, menu navigation, etc are almost the same.

If you use Freescan, then you can use the same file you used for your 346XT to program the 396XT (just add the digital channels you want to hear). Even if you didn't use Freescan, you can still import another software program's file into it (or just download the profile from your 346XT and use that).

Regarding audio quality; many of us are very satisfied with our 396XTs, however there are a substantial number of users that are not satisfied the digital decode quality (particularly with simalcast systems). Personally, I an very satisfied with my 396XT overall. The only real complaint I have with it is the multifunction volume knob/encoder (I wish volume was its primary function while in SCAN mode).

Happy scanning :)

scannersnstuff

this is what i would do,if i had to make a decision. although only uniden know's about the status of their next generation of their digital scanner's. phase II tdma will probably be included. i would hold out for as long as i could. i am also pretty pleased with my bcd396xt.

Tom_G

The 396XT is a great radio.
The programming will be identical to your 346XT.
I find the digital audio to be very good here in CT.
I just got mine in early December and after having if for a few days I wondered why I waited to long to buy one...:wink:

minskie

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT is an awesome radio.

You have lots of choices with control software too. ARCXT-PRO, Freescan, ProScan.

Get a decent antenna, maybe a discone and a better one to replace the stock antenna and it is a powerhouse both for base use and as a portable.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
I don't think so - some of us prefer the absolute programming that the 996XT/396XT has to offer. I chose them over the HP for that very reason. It's simply a matter of preference.

OCO

I don't think so - some of us prefer the absolute programming that the 996XT/396XT has to offer. I chose them over the HP for that very reason. It's simply a matter of preference.

Define "absolute programming" .... in terms of what a x96XT can do that a HP1 can't ..The HP1 is not locked solely to the RR derived database, hasn't been for quite a while..:)

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about the Home Patrol (never owned one) but the 396XT is extremely powerful when it comes to programing. (not for the faint of heart unless you have software to program).

I'd opt for a 396XT anyday. Although there is a steep learing curve involved & probably more suited to the more 'serious' & experienced user than is a Home Patrol.

Home Patrol sounds like its mass marketed to the Casual & Mum & Dad user/s ?

Last edited:

OCO

I don't know much about the Home Patrol (never owned one) but the 396XT is extremely powerful when it comes to programing. (not for the faint of heart unless you have software to program).

I'd opt for a 396XT anyday. Although Its a learing curve involved & probably more suited to the more 'serious' & experienced user than is a Home Patrol.

Home Patrol sounds like its mass marketed to the casual & Mum & Dad users ?

Tell ya what, take a minute to review this page, and then see if you still blow it off as something for " the casual & Mum & Dad users"...Actually, the HP1's capabilities put it in a class by itself.. there is no other scanner on the market with it's discovery and analysis tools, but I guess if it might be a little too advanced for those that are still think the only way to program a scanner is through hours of manual entry on the keypad..:D

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I'm not knocking it. Maybe its the way it's marketed. I thought it was basically a 'Plug and Play' type of gadget that sits on the bedside table.

This post was really about the qualities of the 396XT. Maybe we should get back on the subject. :)

OCO

Absolutely....just pointing out that the HP1's not as neutered as was suggested in an earlier post. There seems to be a fair bit of misinformation floating about..:D

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely....just pointing out that the HP1's not as neutered as was suggested in an earlier post. There seems to be a fair bit of misinformation floating about..:D

Thanks. Actually I might take time out to read up on it.

Might be my next scanner.

I still think the 396XT is a great scanner though. :)

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Define "absolute programming" .... in terms of what a x96XT can do that a HP1 can't ..The HP1 is not locked solely to the RR derived database, hasn't been for quite a while..:)

I'm not saying that one is better than the other at all - or that the HP-1 is locked to the DB. Some of us have a preference for the more "traditional" vs. the new age of the HP.

W6KRU

I'm not saying that one is better than the other at all - or that the HP-1 is locked to the DB. Some of us have a preference for the more "traditional" vs. the new age of the HP.

Some people don't want to be bothered wit trivial stuff like frequencies, modulation, etc. and other people don't care to concentrate on zipcodes, latitudes, longitudes, etc.

OCO

Well hey, HP1 or 396XT, Uniden's been great on product support, right Dan?? The OP may still be looking for input...

Status
Not open for further replies.