bcd396xt HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schell269

Premium Subscriber
Just got the above scanner for Christmas I previously had a Radio Shack that could be programmed using EZ Scan. for what ever reason I just am unable to figure the new scanner out. I have read a number of posts here in this forum, read and re-read the easy manual, the hard manual etc!!! ,

Is there anyone or commercial location in the Indland Empire, California who can walk me through this maze? I figure that there is just something that I have missed as I am not too retarded!! I am using Free scan and have down loaded a couple more programs that just do not seem to be user friendly at all. I have also obtained thed UPS link for the programing cable but nothing seems to work!

All help appreacheted!!

Dwight

SCPD

QRT
Going through Database looking up Hermet found it under here.
Riverside County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Scroll down and program it as conventional System.
I'm not in your area, you may post in the San Diego Forum with more question there.
Most of the Frequency listed there are for conventional System.

Also where you able to download any System using freescann to your Scanner or are you straggling with that too ?

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
Just got the above scanner for Christmas I previously had a Radio Shack that could be programmed using EZ Scan. for what ever reason I just am unable to figure the new scanner out. I have read a number of posts here in this forum, read and re-read the easy manual, the hard manual etc!!! ,

Is there anyone or commercial location in the Indland Empire, California who can walk me through this maze? I figure that there is just something that I have missed as I am not too retarded!! I am using Free scan and have down loaded a couple more programs that just do not seem to be user friendly at all. I have also obtained thed UPS link for the programing cable but nothing seems to work!

All help appreacheted!!

Dwight

I currently use FreeScan and do monitor Riverside and all other counties surrounding, first this to do is
click on "new system" (upper left hand corner) select "EDACS Narrow/Wide." This will now make a system to monitor on your scanner. Next step would be to add Sites (a site is basically adding a tower and set the frequencies with the corresponding numbers on RR) click on Site setup, name what you would like for example i have, "Riverside West". next go to the second tab names "trunk Freq" and use "EZ-grab!" and copy and paste the frequencies. YOU MUST go under system setup, under EDACES ID Format and click on AFS.

After you have set your tower locations you need to set the TGID's to listen to your desired station. Click on "New group" (upper left hand corner next to "new sys, new site, etc.") use "EZ-grab" again to copy and paste the system talkgroups from Radio Reference, MAKE SURE you set the TGID as AFS numbers with the 02-021, this would only work with EDACS systems due to their network.

If you just have a problem from Freescan communicating with the scanner dont worry about buying the USB for $40 i just bought a serial cable to USB and that works just fine for me for just a few bucks and make sure the serial port numbers are the same (under the scanner settings, then set serial port and click on one that matches your computer.)

After you have set up the tower freq, and the TGIDs you are set up to scan, let me know if this helped you out and feel free to contact me if you have questions.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
To get the cable & scanner to communicate with your computer & FREESCAN...Dont forget that if you are using the supplied cable and a RS232 serial adapter to USB ..you need to download the required driver that works with the BCD396XT you can find it on the ScannerMaster web site..

Uniden USB Cable

Schell269

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the several suggestions. Will back up and try them and if I have further questions I sure appreciate the input!!

A great New Year to all of us!!!

dokeefe

Premium Subscriber
SWSK....I TRIED IT FOR MURRIETA. WHAT IS 02-021? I CAN PROGRAM UNDER IMPORT FROM RADIO REFERENCE. WHICH DOES EVERYTHING FOR YOU . I cant get it to program different cities that I want as well

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
SWSK....I TRIED IT FOR MURRIETA. WHAT IS 02-021? I CAN PROGRAM UNDER IMPORT FROM RADIO REFERENCE. WHICH DOES EVERYTHING FOR YOU . I cant get it to program different cities that I want as well

ok Murrieta is NOT under the trunked system for Riverside it is a set of freq all by itself, (so to program: it would have to be conventional system and you would have to be very close to the city due to them using the 800 mhz band) the only thing involved with riverside cnty is just the patch. the 02-021 is just the TGID for the trunked system for Jurua. what i do is use the EZ-GRAB from free scan, so i just highlight the area that i want, right click then press copy, then i go under the EZ-GRAB and click on "1. copy from clipboard" and then under each tab set what you want the column to be. and i dont use the radio reference import cuz i like to program it a certain way.

let me know if you have any other questions!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This article from our wiki has links to just about everything you need to get off the ground - including some very good descriptions of trunking, the links to the Easier to Read guides (at the bottom), our DMA FAQ and much more. I would take some time and go through these links - you will find them helpful...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Schell269

Premium Subscriber
Totally confused!!

I currently use FreeScan and do monitor Riverside and all other counties surrounding, first this to do is
click on "new system" (upper left hand corner) select "EDACS Narrow/Wide." This will now make a system to monitor on your scanner. Next step would be to add Sites (a site is basically adding a tower and set the frequencies with the corresponding numbers on RR) click on Site setup, name what you would like for example i have, "Riverside West". next go to the second tab names "trunk Freq" and use "EZ-grab!" and copy and paste the frequencies. YOU MUST go under system setup, under EDACES ID Format and click on AFS.

After you have set your tower locations you need to set the TGID's to listen to your desired station. Click on "New group" (upper left hand corner next to "new sys, new site, etc.") use "EZ-grab" again to copy and paste the system talkgroups from Radio Reference, MAKE SURE you set the TGID as AFS numbers with the 02-021, this would only work with EDACS systems due to their network.

If you just have a problem from Freescan communicating with the scanner dont worry about buying the USB for $40 i just bought a serial cable to USB and that works just fine for me for just a few bucks and make sure the serial port numbers are the same (under the scanner settings, then set serial port and click on one that matches your computer.)

After you have set up the tower freq, and the TGIDs you are set up to scan, let me know if this helped you out and feel free to contact me if you have questions.

I think I am way over my head with attempting to program this scanner. I have the USB to serial adaptor, just drove to Fries and got DP9M to HD15m adaptor -- Northing works! I keep getting a message in Free scan when attempting to up load that it is unable to communicate with the scanner as It can not find a port.

I went into the port settings on the scanner under new system and set the baud for the same as freescan. there was no place that I could find to set a particular port either on the scanner or in freescan.

I think there is just a little twitch or two that I am doing wrong and nothing is working. Free scan is similar to EZ scan and it would use that program but this radio does not have a memory card so EZ scan will not work.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
I think I am way over my head with attempting to program this scanner. I have the USB to serial adaptor, just drove to Fries and got DP9M to HD15m adaptor -- Northing works! I keep getting a message in Free scan when attempting to up load that it is unable to communicate with the scanner as It can not find a port.

I went into the port settings on the scanner under new system and set the baud for the same as freescan. there was no place that I could find to set a particular port either on the scanner or in freescan.

I think there is just a little twitch or two that I am doing wrong and nothing is working. Free scan is similar to EZ scan and it would use that program but this radio does not have a memory card so EZ scan will not work.

I just helped another member in Pittsburg California with the same problem .. now it works fine for her..
YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE PROPER DRIVER FOR THE SCANNER TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR COMPUTER YOU GET IT FROM THE SCANNERMASTER WEBSITE.

for for proper driver for the adapter, go to....

http://www.scannermaster.com/USB_Cable_p/01-551038.htm

and scroll down till you this this below..

Windows 7/XP Operating Systems
PL2303 Prolific Driver v1.7.0

click on the PL2303 Prolific driver to download the driver you need..

then after thats done set the proper Computer PORT in the FREESCAN settings and on both FREESCAN & in youur scanner make sure in your scanner settings set the SERIAL PORT rate to 115200 bps on both the scanner & in the freescan settings

Last edited:

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
"Unable to communicate with scanner" . Try this
Have Freescan running and then plug your USB cable in.
Then go to Virtual Control and see if you can set up Communications.
I was having the same problem.
Hope it works. If not, Let us know!

I was in your same spot a few months ago.

Doug

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber

You can also set the port in the upload dialog in Freescan! When you send the data to the scanner, there is a button underneath the various settings for uploading. Connect the scanner and click that button. If you know the port number, you can select it - or you can have Freescan Autodetect the port for you. The receive from scanner dialog has the same thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.