BCD396XT - Houston, Texas HPD, HFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

infohou

"Thanks for the Wiki link and your reply. What I don't think I did was Yes after selecting the speed on the scanner. I just push the rotary knob in and thought that would select it. I will try that now."

That wasn't the issue but I did figure it out. I changed the computer to set the physical commport as comm 3 and told Proscan the same. Uploaded KevinC's file and am scanning.

"I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT."

Can someone confirm this? If so, what handheld do I need? I am planning to do some freelance news video and need to hear everything.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Uniden's new BCD436HP, BCD536HP and (if you can find one) GRE's PSR-800 (with upgraded firmware) are all capable of Phase 2 decoding. Nothing else is at the moment...we have extensive threads on the 2 Unidens in that forum....Mike

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT.

"Thanks for the Wiki link and your reply. What I don't think I did was Yes after selecting the speed on the scanner. I just push the rotary knob in and thought that would select it. I will try that now."

That wasn't the issue but I did figure it out. I changed the computer to set the physical commport as comm 3 and told Proscan the same. Uploaded KevinC's file and am scanning.

"I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT."

Can someone confirm this? If so, what handheld do I need? I am planning to do some freelance news video and need to hear everything.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

All of HPD/HFD main dispatch TG's are also broadcast in FDMA (at this time, this could change in the future).

But be advised the 396XT doesn't work well on simulcast. The x36-series for me work much better on simulcast, others seem to disagree with that though.

infohou

"But be advised the 396XT doesn't work well on simulcast. The x36-series for me work much better on simulcast, others seem to disagree with that though."

Good to know. So ScannerMaster supports the site. Best place to buy the 436?

Thanks Again,
Robert
PS: Apologies for not researching this before I bought the 396.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
General Services Government Layer

I believe some of Houston PD's channels are P25 Phase 2, like the main dispatch channels. You won't hear those with the 396XT.

With Houston PD & FD, you will need to load your radio with the appropriate site & associated talk groups. The General Services Government layer was created for those who don't own a Phase II scanner. Please, review this wiki:

Houston Police and Fire P25 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.