BCD396XT Keypad Locked !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLAH

Hello all, I am having a problem with my BCD396XT. I bought it new from Scanner Master in July of 2009, (dam the warranty is up!)
I have never had a problem until now.

The keypad will not function, its like the keypad lock is on (eg: only the power key works) all the time, however I have turned it (the key lock) off, on, and off again and none on the keys will function, just the power key?

I have used programing software like Freescann and/or proscann and the keys function (eg: I can press hold, scann, etc) via the computer controll.

I have reset the scanner with the 2,9,hold .. I have reuploaded the programing via Freescann, uploaded just one freq with default system settings and nothing works???

Does anyone have any ideas ??????
TIA
Mike

PS. There is one other problem from before. I have never been able to update the firmware ?? I have tried EVERYTHING..

Last edited:

RickLeb

Does the display backlight come on when you press any keys?

Do you see the "KEY" icon in the top right corner of the display?

How about the volume, menu, and function buttons?

BLAH

Just to clarify, is it actually saying the keypad lock is on when you press a button?

No, it does not say the lock is on, the lock is not on because I can still press the function button and the power/lock button and turn it on/off..
The power, lock button (The one with the power & foot icon on it) is the only thing that works on the keypad..... :confused:

Thanks for the reply!!
Mike

BLAH

Does the display backlight come on when you press any keys?

Do you see the "KEY" icon in the top right corner of the display?

How about the volume, menu, and function buttons?

No sir, The backlight does not come on unless I press a side button or volume knob, and the key icon is not on..

The volume knob and the side buttons function fully.. As does the only button on the keypad that works (the lower left button), the power button.
No other button on the keypad will work, I am able to turn the keypad lock on/off with the function and tapping the power button, however it makes no difference...

Again thanks for the reply!!!
Mike

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Long press the "FUNC" Key while turning the radio on.
Continue to press the "FUNC" key through the 2 screens that show up on boot up. Does the radio say KEY SAFE MODE OFF?

Marshall KE4ZNR

BLAH

Long press the "FUNC" Key while turning the radio on.
Continue to press the "FUNC" key through the 2 screens that show up on boot up. Does the radio say KEY SAFE MODE OFF?

Marshall KE4ZNR

It did not work:mad:

I did not know that one, I was crossing my fingers however it turned it "ON" then I did it again and I turned it back off, I did not change anything...
Still the same problem :confused:

Thanks for the help though :)
I am very bummed, I am thinking I will have to send it in to be fixed.. I hope it does not cost much to do so..
Mike

n4yek

Did you program it with Freescan and placed a check mark in 'Enable System Protect' in the setup of your system?
This will do what you are saying is happening to you.

Last edited:

BLAH

Did you program it with Freescan and placed a check mark in 'Enable System Protect' in the setup of your system?
This will do what you are saying is happening to you.

No, I checked just to be sure made sure it was not checked on any system, It did not change anything.
I did not know that however that's a good thing to know.. Thanks

It must be a stuck key or a hardware failure of some kind :mad:

Thanks for the help,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.