BCD396XT Loudness

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOf674

I know there is an issue with the loudness when using a external speaker...but on a recent trip I noted that my radio isn't as loud as it is on the local P25 system.

Specifically, when scanning the local P25 system comes in clear and loud, but I have the loudest setting applied (i.e. 15) and all the other local conventional systems or non trunked frequencies pop up the volume output is greatly diminished (i.e. the 15 setting is barely audible).

I'm aware of the volume offset...but I believe this to be a radio malfunction of some kind. Has anyone else noted this? Or possibly had a similar experience and a "quick" fix other then sending the unit back???

As it has had 1 trip back prior and that left me without for about 2 months.

As always, Thanks in advance...

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the modulation for the conventional channels is set correctly, failure to do so could cause the issue you're describing.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

kb8rvp

When you have the volume set to 15 is that with an external speaker I assume? I normally have mine set to 8 and every once in a while 9 with the internal speaker. I know some have had issues with the internal speaker blowing if you set the volume to high... Have to tried using stereo headphones to check the audio output from the headphone jack to make sure it's working normal. I use stereo headphones all the time and I can set the volume to 3 - 4 and it sounds great.

Mike

LOf674

Checked Modulation...all seems okay there. Thought perhaps, it was an attenuator issue but that wasn't turned on globally and now I seem to be laboring to find out how to turn that off...

Ya think it was a monday here in cincy...

LOf674

Another P25 trunked system is scanning fine, but P25 conventional is barely audible also...

Key beep is loud....Weather channel is barely audible...

No ideas here left...

Any ideas would be again greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

LOf674

Oh, no external speaker...just the radio...

I live in Cincy, and the hamilton county, MARCS and clermont come in fine. Warren co is quieter like the rest of the scanner....

Completely confused...

Not sure what I did... trying to retrace my steps and can't think of anything else...

ilgrant

I believe there is an AGC setting in the radio to keep the levels close to the same so that the user isn't always tweaking around with the volume.. It may be enabled for digital but not for analog or vice versa.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
In the menu for each freqy and TG there is a setting called "volume offset", you can set this louder by using the "+" side or lower by using the "-" side, if you mistakenly set it to the minus by say "6' it could affect your situation...Just a thought....

LOf674

Looked into the offset. The two trunked systems and Marcs can be heard clearly. Just everything else is or seems to me to be muted... Going through the menu now but I still have no real ideas. Please keep sending your ideas! Thanks!

W6KRU

Have you tried using the offset on the channels that seem muted? Once you find a level that sounds good, make a matching entry in the software you are using to program your scanner.

Make sure that your conventional channels aren't set for FM when they should really be NFM.

LOf674

Definitely not the offset...thinking now something hardwired with the sound board...p25 systems all alot louder (normal sound level) all else much quieter... Anybody out there with uniden? is there a difference in processing the sound if the scanner "decodes" P25? versus analog?

looking into sending it back to uniden for repair...

not so happy... but still welcoming any ideas...

W6KRU

You set the volume offset to +3 on a channel and it's still not loud enough? That should make a low volume channel quite a bit louder.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Sending it back to Uniden should be a last resort. You may end up having to pay a repair fee (unless its still under warranty) and getting it back unchanged (if they don't find anything wrong with it).

I would try a couple things first before sending it in for repair.

1. Try manually (not through software) creating a new system; you don't have to duplicate the entire system, just program in enough to test it out. This will eliminate the possibility of a system-specific setting that could be cause the issue, as well as eliminate the possibilty of a 'default' software setting that may have been inadvertently changed.

2. If that didn't find the issue, then I would perform a factory reset of your scanner (be sure you have saved your entire scanner profile to PC first). To reset your scanner: with the scanner powered off, press and hold the [2], [9] and [HOLD] buttons while powering up the scanner. It will ask whether or not you wish to restore the factory preprogrammed systems (I would say 'NO', but you can restore them if you wish). Once the scanner has been reset, repeat #1 (don't reload your saved profile yet, as it may restore settings that caused the issue. If it works, then your scanner's hardware is fine and you can restore your saved profile (but you may want to restore the systems only first, and then tweak your settings).

Good luck :)

GTO_04

I had a similar volume issue today with my XT. I had zero audio on all the trunked systems in my XT today. This includes a Type II, a P25, and an EDACS system. It was stopping on TGs and displayed normal signal strength, but absolutely zero audio at all no matter the volume setting. I did get normal volume on the weather transmitter. I disconnected the battery, waited a few seconds, put the battery back and everything was normal again. It was the first time it ever happened and I've had it since 2009.

My XT did lock up (went into hold mode by itself) two times in the past week too. It did not respond to any of the keys. Once again removing and reinserting the battery fixed the problem.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.