BCD396XT Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

key71cs

Premium Subscriber
I have a few day old bcd396xt scanner. I am trying to monitor Roanoke County's new P25 system. I am using free scan software and downloaded frequency's from Radio Reference. When scanning this system I get a high error count and dropped transmisions. Sometimes it will hold on a transmission and will hear nothing at all and sometimes its works fine. I have not seen p25 come on the display when listening to p25 transmissions.5 bars on the signal. Seems to work better at home than riding around in a vehicle. Scanner works great on all analog tranamissions.I have installed latest firmware.Would the GRE PSR-500 be a better choice? Has any one else had problems like this? Thanks.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I assume you are referring to VA. It sounds like a classic case of simulcast distortion. All scanner models have issue with this, but I have found monitoring the Cincinnati system, which is the same, the PSR 500/600 do a much better job of decoding. Of course, this is only my opinion and what I have personally seen. Others will undoubtedly have different opinions :)

Check out this wiki article that will also help you understand better what's going on:

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.