BCD396XT No longer receives Brevard County EDACS

ccc530

Premium Subscriber
IDK what I did to my scanner last night, but this morning, it won't receive anything on this system. I don't see the signal in the upper right corner. It's been a long time since I set this up, so I don't remember what settings to look for.
When I lock on the primary control channel, I am receiving voice transmissions. Just when I scan, there's nothing.
What am I missing?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
IDK what I did to my scanner last night, but this morning, it won't receive anything on this system. I don't see the signal in the upper right corner. It's been a long time since I set this up, so I don't remember what settings to look for.
When I lock on the primary control channel, I am receiving voice transmissions. Just when I scan, there's nothing.
What am I missing?
Have you accidentally locked out the system, or the site(s) you had programmed? If you are using Quick Keys, be sure that the QK for the system, and its sites, are enabled.

Are you using software for programming? If so, which program?

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
My wife did something similar yesterday, the unit was stuck on one system. She thought she was hitting avoid, but hit the system key. I know they aren't even close, but she really didn't know the avoid key that I use a bunch.

tvengr

Well Known Member
By any chance do you see HOLD flashing on the scanner display? If so, you are in system hold and the scanner will only scan one system. If that is the case, press the HOLD button for about 3 seconds to exit system hold.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Go to the RR database and compare it to what you have programmed. Perhaps there is a new/omitted frequency

ccc530

Premium Subscriber
The system is not locked out and the quick key is enabled. All frequencies are entered. Normally, I see signal bars in the upper right corner of the display, but I no longer see them.
I am using ARC396 to program; but keep in mind, that I've had this system programmed and working for years. I hadn't connected it to my PC with ARC396 until it stopped receiving.
Thank you for your suggestions.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am using ARC396 to program; but keep in mind, that I've had this system programmed and working for years. I hadn't connected it to my PC with ARC396 until it stopped receiving.
ARC396 is for the BCD396T only. You need ARC-XT, ProScan, or FreeSCAN for the BCD396XT. Your header says BCD396XT. System hold is not available on the BCD396T if that is what you really have. I have all of the software programs. If you attach your programming files, I will check them for errors. You will need to right click on the files and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach them. Click on attach files and Open the zipped folder(s).

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Be sure to check group quick keys, system quick keys, and lockouts. (Note that lockouts are different from disabling quick keys.)

You may want to read your scanner’s programming into the software where you can more easily review all of the settings. (Be careful not to overwrite any ‘known good’ programming.)

ccc530

Premium Subscriber
I think I fixed it. First, I set up a new site for this county TRS and that new site worked. I then compared the settings for the two sites and they were identical, but the original still wasn't working. Next, I resent the trunk data for the original and now it's working.
My conclusion: Either it was one missing non-control channel frequencies; or that it was set for "NFM" somehow (that was the only difference between the two systems as they showed on the display of the radio itself. I don't know what settings change "FM" and "NFM"; but I don't see any settings anywhere that might affect these. Does anyone know?
Again, Thank you for your help.

wtp

i see simulcast on the three systems, so it could be somehow that did something.
it would mean the radio can't hear the data correctly.
and moving the radio can help or hurt with reception.
if you hear it now, don't change a thing.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have a BCD396T or BCD396XT? It says BCD396XT in your header. If you are using ARC396 software, it must be the BCD396T. If you attach your EDACS files, I will check it for any problems. An EDACS system must have all of the frequencies for each site. In ARC396, the frequencies should be in the same order as is the database. You need to enter the LCN (Logical Channel Number) for each frequency. The LCN is the 2-digit number to the left of each frequency in the database. The BCD396T supports only a single site per system. You would need to setup 3 systems - one with the North Simulcast site, one with the South Simulcast site, and one with the Beach Simulcast site. The BCD396XT supports multiple sites per system. You would need only a single system with 3 sites. System Type for Brevard County should be Edacs Standard/Wide. Note: Motorola Type II and P25 systems require only the control channel capable frequencies and they may be in any order. LCN's are not required.

ccc530

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a BCD396T or BCD396XT? It says BCD396XT in your header. If you are using ARC396 software, it must be the BCD396T. If you attach your EDACS files, I will check it for any problems. An EDACS system must have all of the frequencies for each site. In ARC396, the frequencies should be in the same order as is the database. You need to enter the LCN (Logical Channel Number) for each frequency. The LCN is the 2-digit number to the left of each frequency in the database. The BCD396T supports only a single site per system. You would need to setup 3 systems - one with the North Simulcast site, one with the South Simulcast site, and one with the Beach Simulcast site. The BCD396XT supports multiple sites per system. You would need only a single system with 3 sites. System Type for Brevard County should be Edacs Standard/Wide. Note: Motorola Type II and P25 systems require only the control channel capable frequencies and they may be in any order. LCN's are not required.

I am still missing something, since I am only receiving some of the transmissions. I have a BCD396XT and I am using ARC 396T. I am having difficulty attaching the files- I see them in file explorer, but when I try to attach them, the folder is empty. What's your email address, I can send it that way, perhaps?

ccc530

Premium Subscriber
ARC396 is for the BCD396T only. For the BCD396XT, you need ARC-XT. The BCD396T uses MEM files. The BCD396XT uses RSF files.

Sorry for the confusion. This is my Butel software that I am currently using:
1672762970408.png
The files that I see are ".mem"

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a BCD396XT and I am using ARC 396T
1672762970408.png

The files that I see are ".mem"
In that case your scanner must be the BCD396T. Is that correct? You keep insisting you have a BCD396XT and that is in the header of your thread also. ARC396 does not work with the BCD396XT.

ccc530

Premium Subscriber
In that case your scanner must be the BCD396T. Is that correct? You keep insisting you have a BCD396XT and that is in the header of your thread also. ARC396 does not work with the BCD396XT.
I stand corrected again. It is a BCD396T.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have ARC396 also. If you attach your ARC396 programming files for the EDACS system, I will check them for errors. You will need to right click on the files and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach them. Click on attach files and Open the zipped folder(s).