BCD396XT not decoding P25 during search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-B

Today while doing some searching with my 436 I ran across activity on a frequency I haven't seen before. I wanted to continue the search with the 436 and use my 396 to monitor the new frequency. So I manually entered the freq in the 396 using [hold] [the digits] [hold]. When transmissions commenced again I heard them fine on the 436 but on the 396 all I heard was the harsh "braaaaat" sound of the digital P25 signal in analog mode. I decided to set up a search to find the freq with the 396 instead of using direct entry and the same thing happened. I confirmed that the modulation was set to auto, I had the P25 wait time set to 300ms on the custom search I set up but it still did not put the P25 audio through. All I heard was "braaaaaat" on the 396 while the 436 decoded it just fine. Here is a screenshot of what I saw on the 436 while I heard the nice clear audio on that scanner. This is a non-trunked conventional P25 frequency.

Any ideas why I am not hearing anything on the 396 but noise?

I programmed the frequency into a conventional system and it decodes the P25 audio just fine in scan mode just not in search mode.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Today while doing some searching with my 436 I ran across activity on a frequency I haven't seen before. I wanted to continue the search with the 436 and use my 396 to monitor the new frequency. So I manually entered the freq in the 396 using [hold] [the digits] [hold]. When transmissions commenced again I heard them fine on the 436 but on the 396 all I heard was the harsh "braaaaat" sound of the digital P25 signal in analog mode. I decided to set up a search to find the freq with the 396 instead of using direct entry and the same thing happened. I confirmed that the modulation was set to auto, I had the P25 wait time set to 300ms on the custom search I set up but it still did not put the P25 audio through. All I heard was "braaaaaat" on the 396 while the 436 decoded it just fine. Here is a screenshot of what I saw on the 436 while I heard the nice clear audio on that scanner. This is a non-trunked conventional P25 frequency.

Any ideas why I am not hearing anything on the 396 but noise?

I programmed the frequency into a conventional system and it decodes the P25 audio just fine in scan mode just not in search mode.

since its digital, you need to set tone search to P25 nac search, rather than CTCSS search.

Tim-B

Okaaay, that's why I didn't catch it at first. I scrolled through the search settings for that particular custom search and didn't come across that particular setting but when I backed out of that menu and went to search/close call settings there it was. It was set to CTCSS search so I changed it to NAC and went back to searching again and lo and behold I heard the P25 voice. So I guess on the 396 the tone search vs P25 NAC search is done globally instead of being set for each individual search.

Status
Not open for further replies.