BCD396XT: Problems with the QGL remote command

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddb

Premium Subscriber
I am currently writing software to control various Uniden DMA scanners. I'm working with a BCD396XT currently, and I notice that when I use the QGL command to read the current state of the group quick keys for a particular system, it returns "Not assigned" rather than "Off" (0, rather than 2) for those group quick keys that are currently assigned but off.

I think it's a bug in the current firmware.

As a result, if I read the contents of a system and save the state of the group quick keys, when I write that configuration back to the scanner, using the string returned by the initial QGL, I end up enabling all of the groups, even those that had been previously turned off.

I'm not sure of the right place to report this -- the software section is more about using currently released software, not about writing software.

Is there anyone else out there seeing the same thing? I'm using firmware v1.08.14, which looks to be the most current version, as of this posting.

BTW, this is easily the best scanner I've ever used. I love how Uniden tweaked everything they needed to tweak to produce a perfected BCD396XT. Now how about doing a scanner that used SD cards, so that we can have almost limitless capacity? A guy can dream.

ddb

Premium Subscriber
The behavior seems to be limited to trunking systems, or at least just to Motorola trunking systems -- conventional systems seem to report group quick key settings properly.

I can work around this by building the group quick key settings string myself, changing the 0 for 2 for any groups that have quick keys but are reported as "unassigned" in the status string.

Is there is anyone out there that could possibly help verify if this is user error or a firmware bug? (Upman? is that you?)

I can provide transcripts of what is being sent to the scanner and what the replies are if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.