bcd396xt removing clip hanger button

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcjaffe

Premium Subscriber
When you unscrew and remove the metal hanger button on the back of the radio a small, black, plastic spacer plate comes off too. Looks like interface was designed as a mount point for interchanging other types of clips or mounting hardware. Does anyone know if there is a flat, blank cover plate and short screw made to fit the location. I never hang the radio and the protruding button makes it awkward to throw in a pocket. But I'd like to cover and protect the threads and have a finished look. If there isn't a blank plate made has anyone got a good CAD file I could use in a 3D printer to make my own?

I'm surprised I couldn't find anyone else mentioning this in the forum. Nor does three appear to be any part like I'm searching for from the Uniden site.

Thanks for any help.

bear780ks

Good Question to Ask:

But Not that i'm a aware of.. it would look Nice to see something fit in this space i have mine out as well i took it off basically the next Day that i had the Scanner). There is a Metal Stand that you can get threw Scanner Master that with that Piece back on the Scanner help holds the scanner up it's Wide at the Base and has Rubber Feet..

I set my 396 in a Beer Koozie i have a Cut out on the Bottom to hear the transmission's better it's worked out really Good.. But to get back to your Question i bet if there is a Person out there that is Crafty with Aluminum or Stainless steel.. i bet they Certainly have thought of it and created a piece to fit in for the piece that re-places the Hanger.

It would be neat to see.! :p Ra

lep

I keep my 396 in a black Motorola leather case, no. 80790, that just fits perfectly with the hang up button removed. I bought the case a few years ago new, in the box, at a Miami (FL) hamfest for $10. I believe it was made for some type of small FRS radio. Besides the nunber stamped into the leater, the only other ID is "Made in the USA" just below the number and of course the M-circle logo just below the MOTOROLA legend on the front. The dealer that was selling them had 20 or 30 but I have not seen them since. If you can locate one it is a perfect fit.

bear780ks

Like the Shack

Cool.. thanks for the Info Ken and i like them Shack photos.. Ra

Last edited:

Supersmt

Premium Subscriber
I just used a suitable size screw to fill the hole and keep out dirt & protect the threads.

Funny that I have thought the same thing, that it would be nice of Uniden to provide a small piece of plastic that snaps in place to give the radio a more finished look with that big thing removed. It could have something like a plastic "feathered post" that goes into the screw hole to retain it. I've seen those types of things in the automotive world.

lep

Here is a quick photo. The "snap" is for the fold over cover which is Behind the case in this photo.

LEP

Attachments

• BCD 396 MOT case.jpg
    BCD 396 MOT case.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 870

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
If there isn't a blank plate made has anyone got a good CAD file I could use in a 3D printer to make my own?

If you would like to go this route, what type of cad file do you need to use with the 3D printer? I have access to almost all of the Autodesk CAD programs and could throw something together for you if you could get me the dimensions you need as well as the file format it must be in.

rcjaffe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Alex,

A buddy of mine has the printer. I'll ask about the file type. I haven't yet approached him about making one for me. He can probably measure the actual piece, mock it up in CAD software and do it all if I ask him to. Do you know the piece I'm talking about on the bcd396xt? I don't know much about CAD design so dimensions and curves will be hard for me to describe.

If we come up with something that works I'll report back to everyone with a picture.

While were at it, I may have him make a plate with slots so I can attach separate slim-line pocket clip. But one that would be removable without tools. It would probably slide on and have a spring latch type release.

Would anyone be interested in something like that? Or what about a slim-line clip that's permanently attached at the screw point? It would be more secure but not so easy to remove.

Either way I'm thinking something that doesn't add more than 1/4-3/8" of overall thickness to the little riser that's already molded into the back of the radio.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Yes I am familiar with the spot you are talking about. I have a 346XT. Let me know how I can help and I will do the best I can to help.

Rastaman147

Premium Subscriber
I just used a suitable size screw to fill the hole and keep out dirt & protect the threads.

Supersmt - Where did you get the screw? I think your answer is probably the best solution, but I tried Lowes, Home Depot, and Radio Shack with no luck. I'm just leaving the screw hole open, but I would much rather find the right size screw.

Supersmt

Premium Subscriber
Supersmt - Where did you get the screw? I think your answer is probably the best solution, but I tried Lowes, Home Depot, and Radio Shack with no luck. I'm just leaving the screw hole open, but I would much rather find the right size screw.

I just grabbed a whole tray of machine screws from my garage and found one pretty quick. Sorry I don't have a size/number for you. You can take the original screw from the clip button to the hardware store and they will find you a shorter one of the same thread size that will fit. The one I have fills the hole, but it's not much for looks. I was thinking of trying to find a black hex socket screw the right size for a cleaner look.

Rastaman147

Premium Subscriber
Ok, If anyone here builds computers, (or has an old desktop computer that's not being used) a fine-thread mainboard mounting screw works perfectly for filling the hole after removing the button and the spacer plate. Be aware that there are also coarse-thread mainboard mounting screws, which will not work for this.

I realize this isn't quite what the OP was asking for, but it is a good alternative for those of us who really want to remove that damn button from the back of the scanner. Thanks again Supersmt!

Supersmt

Premium Subscriber
Glad you found what you needed Rastaman.

Again though, it would be nice if Uniden provided a proper $.10 plastic trim piece out of the box on a $450 product.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To be fair, in the nearly 10 years we've used this same basic design, this is the first request I've seen for such a thing.

bear780ks

A piece of black electrical Tape Cut into a Circle would cover the hole Nicely :D as well And keep out the Cruddies;)

dkf435

What would be more desirable is a common dimension of the buttons and the indexing notch used among all the different radios. Kenwood , Yaesu, Uniden and the aftermarket ones I get for the Icom radios require all different belt clips, and cometimes I have to have 4 different clips on the belt for all the radio combinations.

David Kb7uns

lep

What would be more desirable is a common dimension of the buttons and the indexing notch used among all the different radios. Kenwood , Yaesu, Uniden and the aftermarket ones I get for the Icom radios require all different belt clips, and cometimes I have to have 4 different clips on the belt for all the radio combinations.

David Kb7uns

I've had a some minor experience in trying to get the various manufacturers to agree on a common power connector. NO WAY. they wouldn't do it, each had their own idea of what was best and brought in their Legal staff to argue. So, while I agree with you from a consumer/user point of view my sad observation is that it is NOT going to happen in this world we live in!. Sorry but that is my opinion.

Rastaman147

Premium Subscriber
To be fair, in the nearly 10 years we've used this same basic design, this is the first request I've seen for such a thing.

This a valid point, UPMan -- It's definitely not a big enough deal to call Uniden to complain about. I really like this scanner, and I would recommend it to anyone, and I would buy another one just like it in a heartbeat. And I'm the first to admit that I probably have too much time on my hands to even be thinking about this in the first place......

BUT....... if you're not going to use the belt clip, it would be nice if the belt clip hardware didn't make the scanner a half inch thicker. That's all, no biggie. Now that I've found a shorter screw, I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.