bcd396xt running on AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast77

I charge my batteries using an external charger. While at home I prefer running on AC so I can save the batteries for when I am away from home or carrying the scanner around the house. And I am tired of having to charge the batteries almost daily. So I am thinking I can switch the battery switch to alkaline with rechargeables installed so it won't charge the batteries when I plug in the AC adapter.

So the question is can I run the scanner with rechargeables installed and the switch set to alkaline?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Premium Subscriber
Yes you can use AC or rechargeable batteries regardless of the switch position. This switch turns off the charging system so it won't charge alkaline batteries which could cause a fire and damage your radio.

However if you don't keep the batteries charged it won't have power when you unplug it to carry it around or leave the house.

I use two sets of batteries and a LeCrosse charger, swapping the batteries once a day (one set charges while one set is in the radio). The charger will also completely discharge the batteries prior to charging them making them last longer, and has a refresh mode to restore worn out batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.