BCD396XT Scan Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman228

Premium Subscriber
I just received my scanner about two days ago. I do have some programming skills but this is all still all new to me. I use the ARC-XT Pro software to program my scanner. I had all my channels uploaded into my scanner and it was working fine. I tried locking out some of the different systems (like Baltimore city fire) and and just kept the one system, like Baltimore County, unlocked and it just stopped scanning. I locked-out all the systems except the one I wanted it to scan. Now, it is just giving me the message "scan mode, nothing to scan." I have been searching on the internet for hours with no help. Any advice?

Tim

2WAYMAN

1-7-12 0021 hours est
Hi-Did you load your systems assigning each to a Quick Key , if so it sounds like you inadvertently locked out all loaded systems. Try activating one of the systems you programmed by depressing one of the numbers on your keypad (QK 1-9)and then hit scan. You should see some normal scanning activity on the display. if not, go back and re check all your programming with the ArcXT software.
Good luck!

trainman228

Premium Subscriber
I have tried both of these with no success. I've tried unlocking everything in my programming and it still says the same thing on the screen. I tried starting from scratch, even doing a reset of the scanner with no success. I have assigned quickeys to each system also with no success. When I press one of the numbers on the keypad, it doesn't do anything

captclint

Mentor
Nothing to scan ALWAYS means you have either locked out all systems, or you have disabled all the Quick Keys. As suggested, look at all the systems choices for each system in ARC to make sure it is not locked out, and exactly what quick keys have been assigned to each. Then in the the "send to scanner" check the "overwrite systems with same name, and "Send quick key status" The latter will enable ALL assigned quick keys.

Last edited:

blutarsky

keep in mind, even if you attempt to scan a system, if all of that system's groups are off then you will see this behavior -- i've done this a few times where i've been listening to a system, and i accidentally turn off all that system's groups. easiest way to correct it was to re-upload my scanner config from freescan. in any case, just make sure that you have at least one group "on" in a system otherwise you won't be able to select it to even turn a group on.

from the "easier to read manual"
Notes: If no systems are programmed, or all systems (or groups in a system) are locked out or turned off, 'Nothing to Scan' appears. Turn on a system/site quick key or unlock a system/site to scan. If you turn off all groups in a system you will not be able to turn any back on and also see 'Nothing to Scan'. This is a bug that frustrates everybody. In that case, while in Scan mode, press and hold Func to lock function mode. Scroll to the system then press the number of the group quick key(s) you want to enable. Press Func to start scanning then press Func again to unlock function mode.

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
Mid December I got back into scanning with the 996XT (and later the T15X and 396XT). I can say it was a serious paradigm change learning the new dynamic memory allocation system with quick keys etc.

You really have to understand the difference between system quick keys and group quick keys.

I recommend you start really simple. use the arc xt software to erase everything in your scanner.

Use your software to make a new system with 5-10 active conventional frequencies. assign that system a quick key of 1 or 2. now distribute those 5-10 frequencies across 3 or so group quick keys.

load this single system into your empty scanner and learn to turn the whole system on and off with the system quick key, and also learn to turn off parts of that system with the group quick keys.

once you master the 2 different types of quick keys, you can try a trunked system. especially a trunk system with multiple sites that have different frequency arrangements, but the same talkgroup id lists. you would use system quick keys for trunked sites, and group quick keys for diffrent agencies or whatever in the talgroup id list.

bottom line is that it takes time to come up to speed with this new (new to us, its been around for 5 or so years now!) memory allocation methodology. start simple and learn the concepts and then take it from there.

I don't have any systems in my scanners that aren't controlled by a system quick key. it is my understanding that if systems are loaded without a quick key (1-99) that they need to be controlled by the lockout mechanism, which I really don't like because its not straightforward to get to systems that don't have quick keys to lockout, unlockout them.

i hope you have luck mastering the use of quick keys with a simple test system of conventional frequencies as I've explained above.

if you haven't found the easier to read manual yet, google "bcd396xt easier to read manual". Way better than the uniden provided confuser.

kbehning

Last edited:

trainman228

Premium Subscriber
It defiantly has a learning curve to it. I was able to figure it out with the quick keys, still have alot of learning to do though. The "easier to read" manual online defiantly has helped. Thank you guys for the quick posts, I will defiantly be using this as a major resource for any future problems.

pdxrealtor

Premium Subscriber
Mid December I got back into scanning with the 996XT (and later the T15X and 396XT). I can say it was a serious paradigm change learning the new dynamic memory allocation system with quick keys etc.

You really have to understand the difference between system quick keys and group quick keys.

I recommend you start really simple. use the arc xt software to erase everything in your scanner.

Use your software to make a new system with 5-10 active conventional frequencies. assign that system a quick key of 1 or 2. now distribute those 5-10 frequencies across 3 or so group quick keys.

load this single system into your empty scanner and learn to turn the whole system on and off with the system quick key, and also learn to turn off parts of that system with the group quick keys.

once you master the 2 different types of quick keys, you can try a trunked system. especially a trunk system with multiple sites that have different frequency arrangements, but the same talkgroup id lists. you would use system quick keys for trunked sites, and group quick keys for diffrent agencies or whatever in the talgroup id list.

bottom line is that it takes time to come up to speed with this new (new to us, its been around for 5 or so years now!) memory allocation methodology. start simple and learn the concepts and then take it from there.

I don't have any systems in my scanners that aren't controlled by a system quick key. it is my understanding that if systems are loaded without a quick key (1-99) that they need to be controlled by the lockout mechanism, which I really don't like because its not straightforward to get to systems that don't have quick keys to lockout, unlockout them.

i hope you have luck mastering the use of quick keys with a simple test system of conventional frequencies as I've explained above.

if you haven't found the easier to read manual yet, google "bcd396xt easier to read manual". Way better than the uniden provided confuser.

kbehning

Quick OT question. . How do you turn the GROUP quick keys on and off with this scanner?

Sent from my Full Android on Crespo using Tapatalk

W6KRU

Thanks,, I have those links.

The questions still stands...

Did you read the one I provided?

To toggle Group quick keys on or off while scanning the system, quickly press and hold Func then press the number key assigned to the group.
To toggle Group quick keys on or off in another system press and hold Func-don't let go. Scroll to the (enabled) system that contains the (enabled) group you want to turn on/off then press the corresponding number key(s) on the keypad.

pdxrealtor

Premium Subscriber
Did you read the one I provided?

To toggle Group quick keys on or off while scanning the system, quickly press and hold Func then press the number key assigned to the group.
To toggle Group quick keys on or off in another system press and hold Func-don't let go. Scroll to the (enabled) system that contains the (enabled) group you want to turn on/off then press the corresponding number key(s) on the keypad.

Thanks, Dan.

I hate that darn 'function' button. I have the 246t and was hoping they'd found another way to access the GQK by say,,, oh I don't know,, a simple 2 second hold. Why make things so complicated. The current set requires two hands on a small handheld scanner. Uhhgggg.... *end of rant*

W6KRU

Thanks, Dan.

I hate that darn 'function' button. I have the 246t and was hoping they'd found another way to access the GQK by say,,, oh I don't know,, a simple 2 second hold. Why make things so complicated. The current set requires two hands on a small handheld scanner. Uhhgggg.... *end of rant*

If you hold the function button down for a bit, it will latch and do what you want.

pdxrealtor

Premium Subscriber
So you are asking a 246T question in a 396XT thread? I guess you said that but I didn't think anyone would actually do that.

No... re-read! It was a question about the 396, to another poster. It was a yes or no. You chose to make it more than that...

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
Question: Lets say you have a conventional system on quick key #37 and a conventional system on quick key #21 and a conventional system on quick key #22 and a P25 system on quick key #46. Now can each of these be put under one key (group) lets say #47 and be turned on or off all at once (at same time) and still keep their dependence with the other keys when needed? Thanks for your help...

Last edited:

W6KRU

Question: Lets say you have a conventional system on quick key #37 and a conventional system on quick key #21 and a conventional system on quick key #22 and a P25 system on quick key #46. Now can each of these be put under one key (group) lets say #47 and be turned on of off all at once (at same time) and still keep their dependence with the other keys when needed? Thanks for your help...

I think I understand your question. Systems can only have one quick key and they can't be nested. Does that answer your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.