BCD396XT "sticks" on open channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

datapod

Premium Subscriber
I usually get these things figured out myself but, this one has me stumped so, tia.

I have a Uniden BCD396XT that I've had for the last year or so. It's been fine and I've made no recent changes to programming or settings.

For about the last two weeks I have been having a problem with one Motorola Type II Smartnet group in Franklin County OH. Franklin County Public Safety Trunking System, Columbus, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Several of the channels after a transmission ends will "stick" i.e.. it appears that it doesn't close squelch and all I hear is smooth static, very much like an open mic. This happens even with squelch turned up to full.

Most times this resolves on it's own and resumes normal scanning. Sometimes I have to press scan to leave the channel and nomal operation resumes. It's not consistant or predictable and it doesn't happen all the time.

(for reference I have copied some of the offending channels from freeSCAN)

Display TGID L/O Pri AudioType Comment
SheriffDispeast 11248 False False All

Display TGID L/O Pri AudioType Comment
USMarshalService 11088 False False All

10480 Display TGID L/O Pri AudioType Comment
MetroEMGCommunic 10480 False False All

I can also get scanning to resume by wrapping my hand around the antenna which to me suggests some outside interference but nothing I'm aware of has changed at my location and it happens anywhere in the house.

I can negate the problem by setting a negative delay for this group but then transmissions are clipped and I miss a lot.

If there's any information that would be helpful that Ive left out let me know.

Thanks for any insight.

D

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Motorola Smartnet broadcasts uses a data squelch tale at the end of every transmission. In Free Scan On Trunk System Setup page for that trunking system check the box “Use Motorola End Code” and then upload overwriting system with same name. May solve your problem. In ARC XT or XT Pro select Analog for option for Motorola end code and upload overwriting existing system. It at also be turned on via the menu tree on the radio.

Could also be: ------
Your radio is being swamped with outerband signals. This is the typical behavior. Some times it just do to tropospheric ducting.
Tropospheric Ducting Forecast for VHF & UHF Radio & TV
Changes with seasons and weather conditions.
Sometimes it is caused by local noise, Dimmer Controls,computer,TV,wifi,cell phones etc operating nearby. Move yout location 40-50ft see if it fixes the problem

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I had the same problem with a moto type 2 system. I set the end code to detect so it will revert back to the control channel after the transmission is over.

datapod

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ken & N9. Setting it to use the "end" code seems to have done the trick.

Your time and attention is greatly appreciated.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.